Chapter 3: Sleep

(Light's POV)

I woke up to the morning sun in my eyes, and an empty spot on the bed next to me. I looked around, finding Ryuzaki standing in front of the window, staring out of it as if in a trance. The sunlight glistened in his hair. I have to admit, he looks- nope. Nope, nope, nope. Nada. I can't think like that. I'm not gay. But... nope.

I shook my head, trying to get rid of those thoughts.

"Light-kun, are you okay?" Ryuzaki asked from his place at the window.

"Hm? Oh, yeah I'm fine," I replied, trying to keep myself from stuttering.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Ryuzaki's POV)

I could tell that he was lying. It was pretty obvious, honestly. First, I don't know if he's noticed yet or not, but his face is red. Second, you could hear it in his voice. He sounded hesitant, like he was hiding something.

"If you say so, Light," I responded. "Anyway, get ready for work. It's already nine, you slept in."

"Why didn't you wake me up!" He exclaimed, jumping up from the bed. He changed into his normal daytime clothes, and because of this stupid chain, I was pulled closer to him.

I was already dressed in my usual white shirt and blue jeans, my raven colored hair messy and wild as always.

When Light was done getting ready, we went downstairs into the main room of the headquarters building and met up with the rest of the task force, getting to work straight away. There was more work than normal today, now that we had the whole theory that Kira may be working with Yotsuba. Everybody just seemed a little more motivated to work on the case, really. Especially Light-kun- I guess he was eager to clear his name.

I really do hope that Light isn't Kira... He's my first friend. But, if he's only my friend... then why do I always feel... different around him? It's a weird feeling, and it's pretty new to me. Could I be... falling for Light-kun? No... I can't fall for the number one suspect of the Kira case. What if he does turn out to really be Kira? Well, then I was right from the beginning and it's case closed. Simple. I can't let emotions get in the way.

Either way, though, I still really hope Light isn't Kira...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Third-person POV)

Light looked at Ryuzaki for about the tenth time now. 'He seems out of it... more so than usual,' Light thought to himself.

Normally, Ryuzaki would've noticed Light staring, but he instead paid no attention to it and just kept staring straight forward at his computer.

"Ryuzaki?" Light finally spoke up.

"Yes Light?" Ryuzaki answered, still breaking his gaze with the computer.

"Are you okay? You seem kind of out if..." Light asked, hesitant.

"Oh, I'm fine. I've just been thinking about the case," Ryuzaki responded in his monotone voice. It wasn't a complete lie- he was thinking about the case. He was thinking about Light being Kira.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Ryuzaki's POV)

It was once again nighttime, and Light was sleeping peacefully next to me as I just sat- or crouched- on my side of the bed and stared out of the window, taking in how peaceful the world was at night. Of course, my mind was not at peace. It was as active as ever and filled with thoughts about the Kira case, about Light...

"Ryuzaki... are you actually still awake?" Light asked, yawning in the middle of the sentence. Well, speak of the devil.

"Yes I am, Light-kun," I replied.

"Why?" He pried.

"I believe I told you this last night, but I'll tell you again. I'm an insomniac, I don't really get much sleep."

"Can you at least try? Just this one night?"

"I don't believe that's possible, Light."

"Why not?"

"Well you see, my mind is usually to active at night, or any time really, for me to be able to relax. Also, I can't be willing to let my guard down."

"You're kidding?"

"No. That's the truth."

"Well... just try? Okay?"

"And how would I even do that?" I finally broke my stare with the window at looked at Light, only to find him already staring back at me with his caramel brown eyes.

"Hmm... it's simple. Just lay down, close your eyes, and relax. Try clearing your mind for once."

"...Okay.."

I got under the covers of the bed and laid down. I relaxed my body a bit.

"Better?" Light asked. I gave a small nod. "Good. Now, close your eyes and try and sleep."

I closed my eyes and tried to sleep, but to no avail. My mind simply wouldn't allow for me to sleep.

I shook my head. "I can't do it," I told Light. I opened my eyes and looked over to him. He looked at me with an upset expression.

"Hm... Maybe if I tell you a bedtime story?"

I looked the other way, my face flushed a little from embarrassment. Bedtime stories are what parents would tell their children, and I was older than Light-kun.

"You don't have to," I told him, still looking away from him.

"Maybe I want to," he retorted.

I looked back over at him- he was wearing a small smirk on his face that I could just make out in the moonlit room.

"Okay... If you want to, than go ahead."

"Okay. Close your eyes and relax. Then I'll begin."

I complied and closed my eyes once again, letting my body relax under the warm blankets.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(Light's POV)

"There was once a girl," I started, recounting an old bedtime story my mom had told me and my sister Sayu.

"She always wore the same thing- a red dress and white shoes. She had black eyes that would always sparkle, and her skin was pale like snow. She had black hair, and she always had a white lily flower that she would tuck in her hair.

Everybody loved her, and thought that she was a beautiful and loving, carefree girl. But nobody ever knew of her past, and they failed to see that on the inside she was sad. Sad because nobody knew, or understood her. She was what people would call 'a troubled soul.'

But one day, when she was on the edge of breaking, an angel came to her. It was her guardian angel. He comforted her, and soon the girl was falling in love with her guardian angel for saving her. But little did she know, that he would be leaving soon.

So when that day came, he left behind a note and a halo made of flowers and white feathers. He had told her that he loved her as well, and that they couldn't be together in that lifetime. But that he'd be waiting in another.

They were lovers made to be, but in another lifetime." I finished.

I looked at Ryuzaki, who seemed to have finally fallen asleep. His chest was rising and falling slowly, his eyes closed and he was hugging the blankets close to his body. The way moonlight came in made his raven hair seem illuminated. I have to admit, he looked beautiful. I'm not fighting it anymore- I'm slowly falling for Ryuzaki.

I sighed, and I leaned over to him, pressing my lips against his forehead lightly.

"Goodnight, Ryuzaki. Maybe we're the girl and angel from the story- Lovers for another lifetime."