Chapter 33

Elizabeth of York; London, England. March 1502.

“Milady.” My husband came to my rooms and greeted me; my ladies quickly stood up and curtseyed to him, but I was surprised. It was rather unusual that he comes to my rooms in the afternoon, and I know he probably wished something or had something important to say. Slowly, I stood up from my chair and curtseyed to him. I noticed little Mary Stafford giving a small step forward, as if she wished to be seen.

“Husband.” I said, calmly, and then I turned to my ladies. “Leave us.”

As I expected, they were clearly upset with my order; the fact that the King came to see me is so unusual that they as well were tickling with curiosity, but they had no alternative but to obey me. “You stay, Lady Catherine. I would like you to watch the door, please.”

Catherine Gordon nodded, and waited until the last lady-in-waiting (Mary Stafford) left and shut the door, staying beside it. Henry raised an eyebrow to me, as to question why such secrecy, but I merely smiled.

“I’m honored you decided to visit me, milord. What brings you here?” I asked.

“Milady, I would like to know if you mind to have your sister, the Viscountess Welles, at court for a couple months.” He said.

I frowned; that was a most strange request.

“I never have any problem with having Cecily at court, Henry, you know so.” I replied, slowly. “Is there anything wrong? Is she ill? Her boys?”

“They are all well. I just sent an invitation to the Viscountess and she will be at court soon. Please, receive her in your household.”

“For how long?”

“I believe until May Day.” He replied.

“I am always happy to have her at court, but –” Suddenly, I understood. “No! Henry, you gave me your word!

“Pardon me?” He said, looking down.

“I want to go to the Ludlow Castle next month, and you promised me I would go. Why this now?”

“We cannot travel when there are guests at court, Elizabeth.”

“Exactly! Why inviting my sister now? I want to go see my son, Henry, and there is nothing you can do to stop me!” I said fervently, feeling my voice trembling with anger. “I dare you to try!”

At that moment, the window of my room shut close with a sudden rush of wind, as if the water goddess had sent it from Thames to show me she also shared my anger. Henry jumped backwards, looking frightened at the window and then at me.

“I –” He mumbled, confused. “I – I will invite Arthur and Catalina to court on Easter. Would that please you?”

It isn’t the same; I wanted the chance of going out of court, in a place where I knew I could control my spies and avoid unwanted ones. But at least I would see my son.

“Very well, milord.” I concede. “But if you do not keep your word, I will not wait for your consent any longer.”

“Your Grace.” Lady Catherine whispered to me; I was ready to do my prayers and go to bed, and she approached me with the excuse of brushing my hair. “I have an important message for you.”

I gave a tiny nod, and turned to the other maids.

“You can all leave.” I said. “Except from you, Lady Catherine. God knows, my hair needs some extra care.”

My ladies curtseyed to me obediently, and left quickly. Once I found myself alone with Lady Catherine, my tone changed.

“What is it? Is it from – ”

“Yes.” She said, taking off her pocket a small piece of paper. I examined it carefully; it was sealed.

“It came from Tourney.” She said, looking anxiously at me. I opened the letter and read it carefully, each word, absorbing its meaning. I read it once, twice, three times until I could finally accept its truth in my mind and heart.

“Your Grace?” Lady Catherine called me, and I noticed her voice was worried; perhaps my expression was appalled, which would perfectly fit the situation.

“No.” I replied slowly, after a moment. “No. Your Grace.”