Chapter 3

Elizabeth of York; London, England. November of 1501

My younger children look as excited as my husband to meet the Infanta of Spain. I had them with me in my chambers, and made sure they were prepared to the great event we would soon have.

“Do you know what she looks like?” My eldest daughter Margaret asked. I knew she was very much worried about it. My daughter is a vain spoiled young girl, of only twelve. She is used to be treated as the most beautiful young lady at court, spoiled by her grandmother who covers her with precious gems and new dresses every week. I had tried to talk her out of such vanity, but it was in vain when she could run to her grandmother and be pampered behind my back.

“They say she is beautiful.” I said, telling her what my husband had reported me. My daughter looked upset. “And I think it’s very good that Arthur has a beautiful bride, and England will have a beautiful Queen. You should be glad as well, Margaret.”

“Oh, I am.” She lied, still upset. My younger daughter, Mary, of only six, was playing with her little doll, uninterested to the conversation. None of my girls seemed to have inherited Melusina’s inheritance. None of my girls had any tendency to the magic skills that ran in my family for so many years. I did not know if it was a bless or a great loss.

“My Lady Grandmother told me I can ride with her tomorrow to the court!” My younger son, Henry, said. My boy was precious in his own way. I wish I could have more time caring for his education. But he was the favourite of his father and of his grandmother. They spoiled my little Harry, giving him everything he wanted. I still think that, at the age of ten, his nature was too good to be completely destroyed. But sometimes I was worried about the man he would become. Thankfully, he was not to be King. My husband had plans to send Harry to the Church.

“I am sure you are very much excited about it.” I smiled.

“I will ride with her among the crowd. People will see us.” He smiled.

I laughed; Harry loved to be seen and greeted.

“Remember that people are there to see the Infanta.” I remarked.

“I know, I know!” he said, and I knew he had not given attention to what I had just said. It was useless to make Harry understand he was not always the centre of attentions.

Margaret looked upset; she would suffer greatly in the future, that daughter of mine. It was heartbreaking to see how greedy and superfluous she was. I knew it was not entirely her fault. She had been spoiled by Lady Margaret, and I could see that old crone through and through in my daughter, except that Margaret did not have enough intelligence to fight for a cause like my mother-in-law had. Henry was planning a marriage to her; he has started negotiating with the King of Scotland.

“She will be Princess of Wales.” Margaret said, disdainful. “I shall be queen. Queen of Scotland.”

“The arrangement is not yet settled. And I don’t like your tone, Margaret. Greed and vanity is a terrible sin. You should go to your oratory.” I replied, coldly.

She did not seem angry. I knew none of my children listened to me, except Arthur. As she could not defy a direct order from her mother and her queen, Margaret stood up, indifferently and left. I knew very well she would probably spend a few minutes in the oratory reciting an empty prayer, and then she would go back to her vain world.

I looked at my son Henry, who was so eager to show himself on the company of the Infanta. After thinking a little, I left my children playing in my chambers and went to my rooms.

I needed to so something to make sure Arthur and his young bride would somehow stay away from the influence of my mother-in-law. I knew it was a hard task; she was everywhere, she had a complex web of spies and she knew about everything that happened in the country before anyone else.

I forced myself to think; they would marry in London, of course, but afterwards they would be sent to Ludlow, where they were supposed to rules Wales and learn how to rule a country by starting off with a principality. I would be away from my son, but Margaret Beaufort would find her way to know their steps and interfere in their lives. If I knew her well, she would even schedule the days my son would have to visit his wife’s rooms.

No, I needed to stop that. I needed someone in their household in whom I could trust. Someone who would be able to befriend the Infanta and not let her be poisoned by Margaret Beaufort. I knew nothing about Catalina, but I had a feeling that girl was smarter than everyone thought, and strong-hearted. I needed her to save England and my son from the influence of that old crone.

Then, as if Melusina had magically whispered her name inside my mind, I smiled; I had the perfect person. And it would not be hard to put her inside the castle. In fact, she already was, and I knew I could count on her friendship.

Taking a piece of paper, I started to write a letter to my cousin, Lady Margaret Pole, who was, just as I am, a legitimate Plantagenet Princess and a true Yorkist.