Part VIII- Angry Words

The party of travelers stayed only one night in the home of Thranduil. For you see, we were awakened by this:

"The Ring has been stolen!" An alarmed elf exclaimed as he rushed in and out of the guest room.

"No chance huh?" Aragorn mused over the proud words of the elven king.

We hurriedly came once more to the great hall where the once proud and arrogant king sat. Now upon the high throne sat a bewildered elf, holding his head in his hands.

Legolas rushed to his Father's side. "Tell us what happened."

The king looked at us and frowned. "I wore it on my hand last night as I did yesterday. When I awoke it was gone."

"Was there perhaps a riddle of sorts left behind?" Gandalf asked.

Thranduil scowled and threw a crumpled clump of paper at us. "You mean this filthy thief poem?" 

Frodo held his tongue at the nasty comment. Boromir picked it up and read:

"Through a secret tree split in two

You missed me but I watched you

I go unto the next rings for me

Shall you catch me? we'll have to see."

"Secret tree split in two? What is that supposed to mean?" Boromir asked.

"NEVER MIND WHAT IT MEANS!" Thundered the king.

Legolas looked down in shame, now understanding how the hobbit had gotten through.

"We shall reclaim it." Assured Legolas.

Thranduil scuffed, then slowly turned toward the company. Recomposing himself he said,

"It strikes me funny, how rings tend to go missing in your presence."

Gandalf caught the accusation and exclaimed, "You dare to accuse us!"

"If the Ring fits." The king replied in mock tone.

"You! Woodland king who cowers behind your dreaded forest! Pride comes before a fall and you, SIRE, have fallen hard." Gandalf yelled out.

With that he turned on his heel and we followed after quickly.

"What are we doing?" Pippin asked while he tried to keep up with the wizard.

"Leaving. I shall not spend a moment here longer!"

While we hurriedly packed our belongings, two armed guards entered the room and one stated,

"The king has demanded an audience with the following: Gandalf, Aragorn, Boromir, Sam, Frodo, Merry, Pippin and-" Glancing at Gimli, "The Dwarf." 

"And I?" Legolas asked.

"Your highness is not needed. You eight come with us."

We followed the intimidating elves down the hall.

"Maybe he will apologize."  Merry suggested.

"Highly unlikely." Gandalf muttered.

We arrived at the door to the great hall when four more guards surrounded us.

"Hand over your weapons." ordered one of them.

Boromir and Gimli held their weapons closer. Gandalf sighed. "Best do what he says." Frodo handed over Sting, Gimli his axe, Boromir his sword and Aragorn his sword. The guards exchanged glances.

"All of it Ranger!" Boomed one of them.

Aragon shrugged and handed over all of his knives.  One guard then turned to Gandalf.

"Your staff as well, Wizard."

Gandalf didn't bother to get by. From their tones and words he could tell it was a bad idea to argue. The large double doors opened and we were marched inside single file.

"Stop where you stand. This shall be quick." Thranduil loudly said.

"You all are hereby sentenced to the dungeon. For how long I have yet to decide."

"Dungeon! But why?" I asked timidly.

"For thievery, and spreading ugly falsehoods against royalty."

"We did not steal your ring!" Insisted Aragorn.

"Send them away. " Yawned Thranduil with a wave of his hand.

As we were being led away Frodo yelled out, "You are making a mistake. All of Middle Earth will be doomed if you don't let us go!"

We were roughly escorted down many stairs and winding paths.

Frodo sadly looked up to Gandalf, "What will we do about Bilbo?"

"We shall think of something."  

A/N

So what will they do now? I hope everyone is enjoying this! Feel free to comment and vote