Chapter 3

Death. Something everyone has to go through. Such a mysterious outcome. No one knows what happens after. Andrew himself had some guesses as to what happens after the end credits of your life show up. He didn't want to find out. He didn't want to die today. 

       Andrew rushed up from his chair and sprinted out his door. He ran through the hallway to his small Brooklyn apartment. He caught a glimpse of his parent's empty room. Tears still managed to escape his eyes as he sprinted. He picked up a water bottle and made for the door. He had no idea what to do next. What is going to happen to him? Once he in front of the door he heard it. Very deep voices of men right outside. He could barely make out what they were saying. He looked out the peephole of the door to see. Two men with black leather jackets. They were wet from the heavy rain. The both carried metal rods. Andrew swore he saw blood on the tip of one of the rods. They were right out the door. Are they coming in? Andrew thought? He didn't want to encounter them so Andrew made for the fire escape outside the window of the living room.

     As he slid open the window he took one last look at the apartment. It was very clean. Everything was organized. Cups and plates in the sink. Chairs and pillows all in order. Carpet and tile clean and stainless. It was hard for him to leave. Leave his life. He had no idea of what was going to happen next. The next chapter in his life was not yet written. Then the door snapped open. They were coming. The men burst through the door and made their way to Andrew. Andrew yelled out and jumped to the fire escape. The men jolted to the window. They grabbed Andrew from his left leg. Andrew yelled out into the streets of New York. "HELP SOMEBODY HELP!" Andrew yelled. The men tried to pull Andrew in the apartment. "Stop fussing kid" the larger man quietly said. Andrew used his right foot (still sore from kicking the door open) and winded up once again. With all of his might he kicked the man who held him captive right in the face. Blood leaked from his nose almost instantly. With that Andrew was gone.

    Andrew ran down the metal stairs that led to the sidewalk. He couldn't stop weeping. Tear after tear. He was terrified. Once he landed on the wet concrete sidewalk he ran. He didn't know where. Hopefully to find a police cruiser somewhere. He glimpsed back at the apartment complex. It was barely visible. The rain hammered down onto the ground. An ugly night. This was the worst night in Andrew's life. Almost everything in his past life has been stripped off of him. He was nothing. Nothing in the massive streets of New York. Nothing but a bottle of water. No money. No extra clothes. No phone. No family. After several minutes of running he decided to hide in a 24-hour cafe. He opened up the door and was greeted with a warm smell of bread and coffee. Only 2 other people sat in the restaurant. Who goes to a cafe in the middle of the night? Andrew thought. Yet again look at the position I am in. Andrew realized. 

   Andrew hobbled over to the most hidden table. He sat on the red leather chair and placed his head against his arms on the table. There he let it all out. The tears. The fear. Everyone in the cafe simply peered at him and didn't bother to question him. After what seemed to be 5 minutes of crying he lifted his head from his arms. His face wet with tears and his nose plugged. "Are you okay?" A soft female voice asked him. Andrew turned to see one of the workers standing. She had blonde hair with a glimpse of darkness near the top. She looked to be around 30 years old. "May I borrow a phone please?" Andrew asked without thinking. She moved and sat at the seat in front of him. "What is going on with you?" She asked. "I just need a phone, my business is my own" Andrew replied rudely. That was a dick response Andrew instantly thought. The woman shifted uncomfortably and pulled out a flip phone. She handed the phone to Andrew. 

  Andrew called his mom and dad first. No answer. He later decided to call 911. He punched the numbers in the phone and waited for an answer. And he got one. But not from the police. "Andrew, you made a grand mistake. Why did you leave?" the speaker questioned. Andrew's body filled with instant fear. How the fuck did this caller do this? Andrew questioned. "Who are you? What do you want from me?" Andrew asked. The waitress still sat in front of him with the most confused look on her face. "I want you Andrew" the speaker said. Andrew couldn't determine if the speaker was a male or female because it was distorted. "You can't run forever Andrew." The distorted voice said. With that the phone flashed green three times. And shut off.

 Andrew handed the phone back to the waitress. She looked at it and tried to turn it on. Nothing. "What did you do to my phone?" she said angered. Andrew felt horrible. "I'm sorry I have to go." Andrew said quickly. He jerked up and exited the cafe. He used open the door and felt the cool air and freezing cold rain slap his face. The waitress didn't chase him or call for him. She just sat tinkering with her phone attempting to turn it on. As Andrew walked out he saw the traffic start up again. He saw a glimpse of the sun start to rise. How long has it been? Andrew thought. With that Andrew made his way down the city sidewalk. To where? He had no clue. Life at this point seems to have given up for  Andrew