Chapter Eighteen: Give It A Try

Start from the beginning

   "I've heard a rumor." Was the first thing he said. I watched has his hands fidgeted.

   "Go on."

   "About me being some kind of suspect. That you think I would have used our relationship as a way to drug you without your knowledge."

   "And? Is that true or?"

   "How could you even think I would do that?!" He stood up. His face turning a slight tinge of pink. "Honestly Silas. How? What have I ever done to give you the idea I was like, some evil mastermind or something?"

   "You didn't." I stated calmly. "Look at it from my point of view Lucca. You were the closest person I was to. I was leaving your house when I was knocked out. I let you handle my food and drinks. I let you play with my phone when you were bored. I'm not saying you did all that is being said. I'm just watching my own back and being smart about things."

   Lucca nodded his head "I should get going. See you at training then." I watched him leave, feeling slightly guilty for making him feel bad. I mean, sure I had every right to think he did this. But I didn't want him to know I thought that.

   Finally, after ten minutes of looking at nothing, I let out a sigh and heaved myself from my desk. I walked into the hallway just in time to see Darren walking with Star beside him. His hand on his neck as he lead the way.

   "What are you doing?" I asked as I eyed them both.

   "Star was just about to show me how he picked my desk lock."

   "And what were you looking for in the desk exactly?"

   'They told me there was a file on the Alpha and the Beta of the pick in the top or bottom drawer of the Beta's desk. And I really hope you know what I'm saying and not just flailing my arms around'

   I smiled at Star, enjoying his humor. "As an Alpha it's almost mandatory that I learn other languages. That includes sigh, so no. You're not just flailing your arms around. But what I don't get is why you're tell us all this so easy. How do I know this isn't some trap?" I wanted to cut the bullshit. I wanted to trust the kid. I really did. But I didn't know if I should.

   'They weren't my family, and they made that pretty clear. They've told me time and time again if I did things for them they would take me to my brother. But they've been saying that for years and I don't believe them anymore. Charlie used to take care of me. But after my ninth birthday he just stopped. I've been fending for myself pretty much. And I don't want to live like that anymore.'

   I nodded my head in understanding, and opened the door to Darren's office. Darren gave me a weary look before he walked into the office after Star, who sat on the floor beside Darren's desk. I watched as Darren locked his top drawer, then stepped back.

   Then I watched Star pull his hand in front of him, and flicked his fingers. When he did that claws appeared on his hand. I was amazed. It normally took a few years for a wolf to learn how to shift half there body apposed to full. Given that Star was only twelve, he'd only had his first shift earlier this year, depending on his birthday.

   He stuck his index finger in the lock hole, then shifted it around tell we heard a click and the top drawer popped open.

   "Well, I mean it isn't hard to break into a desk obviously. Same thing to the door?" Darren asked, Star just nodded his head and plopped back down onto the ground. HIs hand phased back to normal as he rocked back and forth on the floor.

   "Elis has already had the security upped, but we're running our of guards, I'm going to have to call Roman and Victor and asked for some help." I said and leaned myself onto the wall, I shut my eyes and rubbed the bridge of my nose.

   I could feel my body weaken, rejected officially or not, not having my mate by my side the way I needed was taking a toll on me. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to fight the way I needed to once the say came. And that worried me.

   I heard Darren let out a sigh from across the room. "Star, go find Darcy, she's fun to hang out with. Downstairs first and only door on the floor."

   I heard Star get up and walked out of the room, the door closing gently behind him. Then I heard the squeak of a chair and opened my eyes to see Darren sitting at his desk with his hands propped up to his face. "Look." He started. "It's not easy for me to relay on other people. I was a firm believer in the no need for a mate club. I've been on my own for partially my whole life. That's twenty-seven years of not having anybody to help me."

   "What are you saying?" I asked, a little shred of hope lodging itself into my gut. But I quickly pushed it aside, knowing that with Darren, anything could come out of his mouth.

   "I'm saying that- we could try to. Get along. Maybe. But I just want you to understand that it's not easy for me. And this right here. Never happening again. So soak it up while you can."

   I was speechless. Less then Forty-eight hours ago the man was ignoring me and giving me death glares. I sat in the visitor chair and ran my hand through my hair. "Are you serious?"

   I didn't get a vocal reply. He just shrugged. "Does this have anything to do with Star?"

   He let out a sigh before a small chuckle left his lips. "The kid and I have a lot in common. And I honestly don't want him to be so.. bitter when he grows up. He should be happy when he finds happiness. Not hide from it like I did. Not that you make me happy or anything. Because you don't. But I just want to show him I can give it a try."

   "Wow. Where was Star a month ago." I smirked. Who knew all it would take was some lost kid to get Darren to get himself together. At least a little bit.

   "Plus. I can see what it's doing to you, and we need the Alpha to be on his A game if we're going to kick shifter ass."

   And his back.

   I nodded my head, feeling a lot better inside and out now that I knew I had him. Even a little bit.

   "I also gotta' ask you something." Darren said standing from his chair. I nodded my head encouraging him to continue. "You have a spare room at your place right? Can Star stay there? Jere's only had his and my room, plus a spare in the basement, but I don't want him that far away. If you sleep in your room, he can sleep in the spare and I can take the couch. That was all bases are covered."

   "Sure Darren, I don't see why not." With that Darren patted my back, mumbled a thanks and left the office.

   "Hey Darren." I called poking my head out his office door.

   "Yeah?"

   "You can't keep him, you know that right?"

   He didn't reply. Just shrugged his shoulders and continued his walk to the stairs.

   I couldn't wipe the smile from my face. Until I remembered that I only had five days left.

   When I remembered that I left the office behind Darren and made my way to the field. I need to get as much training in that I could.

Because I had a feeling I would need it.

A/N: You're Welcome.

 I thought I'd give you all an update. It's not very long but I had it ready so why not?

K is doing well. He hasn't gotten sick from chemo and that's awesome. We're doing a basket at work and selling tickets to help raise money.Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers.  I still can't believe it and can't stop thinking about it.

But when I'm not thinking about him I'm thinking about TAB.

Calm Before the storm.

-Robyn♡