chapter three

•luke•

i walked into Haley's, expecting screaming and horsing around but all i saw was Michael and Ashton on the floor, playing rock-paper-scissors, and and Calum and Haley on the couch... cuddling. i cleared my throat, eyeing Calum.

"hey man." he looked at the TV screen, then back down at Haley, telling her some stupid story.

"Calum."

"Luke." he mocked my tone, he was trying to make me mad, he was trying to make ME look like the bad guy.

"can i talk to you. in the backyard. please." he kissed Haley on the forehead, walking proudly out of the house in front of me.

"yes?"

"what the fuck are you trying to pull?!"

"i don't know what you're talking about, calm down."

"you're trying to make me look bad!"

"you already do. you're keeping secrets from her, you're snapping at her, you aren't telling her about m-"

"SHUT UP WITH THAT."

"listen," he sighed leaning against the house, "you think i forgot about the talk we had on tour? i didn't. maybe you should remember it and start acting on it huh?"

"don't put that whole talk on me. I remember, but do you remember what you said Calum? i should've beat the shit out of you, but i didn't because I had no right to."

"MAYBE if you ACTED ON IT, you would have the right to."

"I-"

"why are you two fighting?" that voice i could point out for miles, so fragile, like a scared little girl, but so forceful, someone who'd do anything for what they wanted.

"nothing," Calum smiled, hugging her tight, "i'll let you two talk, i'll get the other boys and leave. I'll see you tomorrow." he winked poking Haley's nose.

"oh. okay." she smiled sitting down on the side of her pool, letting her feet swing in the water.

"Luke." she whispered looking at me.

"Haley." i sat down next to her, letting my feet hit hers. as if she was a body builder, she pushed me in the water with one hand, laughing at me popping up, my hair and clothes sopping wet.

"oh, you're gonna get it." she wasn't as strong as me when i tried, so pulling her into the water was easy.

"ugh, i hate you Luke." i picked her up smiling at her, her hands on my shoulders.

"no you don't." the space between us seemed to get smaller, and i wasn't the only one who noticed. Haley's eyes traveled down to my lips, as if she was looking at how far apart we were, and then her eyes met mine.

"we should change." she coughed, squirming out of my grip and swimming to the stairs.

what is wrong with me.