Her lips quivered.

Was there anything she could say or do that could prove her innocence in the face of all these accusations he was throwing her way?

It is impossible to convince someone of anything when they've already made up their mind.

He was far above the stage of hearing Kate's desperate pleas, seeing the truth in her eyes, and trusting the love they shared, nothing could anymore reach his heart. Kate could see it. Anger and frustration of betrayal blocked that stupid organ of his body, the love he ever felt for Kate was replaced with never-ending hatred only.

Kate looked down at the medical reports in her hand. She felt way too helpless— way too shocked to react in any way. Alex's blazing gaze followed Kate's eyes, and it was then he saw the file in her hand. He snatched it away before she could even react.

Kate watched as he went through the file, his jaw tightening in fury. She still had a bit of hope in her heart, but her mind was now screaming that the things broken would never be mended. It was a kind of storm that would not calm until everything was ruined. Alex's face contorted in unimaginable rage, and he thundered at the already broken soul that stood like a statue before him.

"So, who's the father?" his words were biting. "Neil or Isaac?"

Her stomach lurched. And it was an instinctive move. Her hand moved up to connect with his cheek in a resounding slap.

But then, she gasped as he moved fast. In a flash of a moment, he held her by her arms, his grip bruising, making her wince in pain until it became so unbearable that a moan escaped her lips. "I want nothing more than to have you out of my life right now. Take the basta** inside you away from me—" He hissed down at her, "It hurts to look at your face anymore. It hurts to be near you anymore. You disgust me, Kate—you, and every memory I've of you."

And as he released his grip on her, pushing himself away from her body, she staggered back. She felt the back of her knees hit the edge of the bed. Feeling no more energy left on her legs, she sat back on the mattress. Throwing one last enraged look her way, he stormed out the door.

Slumping down on the bed, she curled her body into a ball and felt liquid anguish rolling down her eyes. Her shaky fists gripped the sheets as if she was desperately trying to hold onto her sanity. The trauma of having her whole world crumbling down in just a moment was just too much. Her head throbbed in pain, but her heart was the worst. She never knew that a broken heart could cause so much ache that it felt like someone had literally shoved a dagger into her chest. It was unbearable. No human being should experience it, but—here she was now feeling it, experiencing it all.

Both her hands went around her stomach, and she hugged herself protectively. Right when she thought she had no more tears left, she remembered what Alex had said about their child. Was his love that weak that just some photographs were enough to obliterate it? How could he call his own child a basta**? Was this the same Alex she fell in love with? Was this the same Alex she married?

Swiping away the tears vigorously, Kate sat up on the bed. Her sobs reduced to the point where she was hiccupping now.

Nono more in this house, she thought.

His wish would be fulfilled. Her eyes hardened in determination. Her trembling palm rested on her belly where her child lay.

It's not his child anymore. It's only hers.

Without delay, Kate packed her belongings. Bloodshot eyes wandered upon all the things in their room, the bed, their pictures that hung on the wall, that loveseat next to the balcony doors—every single thing held memories of her and him. The love inside her heart for him demanded her to stay, to make him believe in her, but it was not just she herself who got insulted today. He insulted her child as well—in the worst way possible.

The heaven was as if cracked open by the loud, booming thunders when Kate came out of the house with a suitcase in her hand. It was drizzling persistently, looking like the sky was also crying along with her.

She recalled just last week—that one night when it was raining just like this. She had always enjoyed the rain. She loved to see how those little droplets of liquid blessings poured down to earth from above, she loved getting drenched in rain, and so she did just that that night. But Alex was so worried that she would fall sick that he had carried her inside and fussed over her to the point that she nearly cried. But everything had changed now. Her beloved lover, her husband, had transformed into a vindictive creature blinded by mistrust.

Indeed, those photographs were the makings of someone's wicked intentions and conspiracy. But weak was proven his love and faith upon her in this test of fate.

The gate of the house that was hers no more stood as one last milestone to her eternal misery, and Kate pushed it open to step foot into that eternity without Alex. The rain hid her tears, but the pain in her eyes shone as thunders cackled in the skies.

Kyle rushed forward, "Let me drop you?" he requested.

The sad look on his face said he was aware of the atmosphere. Alex didn't hold back the volume of his voice; she had a suitcase in her hand, and her face was red and swollen from all the sobbing. Of course, anyone could catch the signs of fresh destruction.

"No need, Kyle," she said slowly, looking away. "I don't think he would like that."

After all, Kyle was Alex's employee.

Kyle backed away sadly.

Hailing a taxi, she slipped into the backseat holding her purse tight in her hands, inside which sat the venom that determined her destruction, those photos. There was one last thing to do.

~

A/N:

That's it for now. What are your thoughts about the first chapter? Let me know, huh. :)

Please don't forget to vote, comment and follow me! Share this story if you enjoyed reading it. Thanks to the lovely people who've voted and commented on the prologue. I love you guys!! You're the best!! HUGS.

Lots of love, take care till the next upload,
- Lara.