Chapter 15

Danny and I stopped running when we saw a motel outside of town. He figured we could rest here for the night, and start our journey to Michigan.

"We need a room." Danny said to the brown haired woman behind the desk.

"Single or double."

"Single."

She typed on the computer. "Seventy five dollars."

Danny handed her the money, then she handed him the keys.

"Is there a phone in the room?" I asked quietly. My voice was hoarse from crying. Danny took my hand in his, and smiled sadly at me.

I know we needed to get out of that damn town, I just wish Joey would've left my best friend alone. I can only hope she's okay.

The womans green eyes met my blue ones, and she smiled sadly. "Yeah, hun. There is."

"Great." I gave her a small smile, and let Danny lead me to room 12.

When we got to our room, I instantly went to the phone, and dialed Max's number.

It rung a few times, but I then heard the voice of a crying Max. "Max? It's Sky."

"Hey, Sky." He croaked.

"How was Jenny?"

"She almost died from blood loss."

What the hell did Joey do to her?!

"Some sick twisted bastard decided to cut names into her arm."

"W-what were the names?"

"Your name and Danny's." He whispered.

"Oh my God." I whispered, dropping the phone.

"Skylar?" Danny's voice asked.

I couldn't comprehend anything. Joey cut my best friend, and engraved our names on her skin. She's scarred forever. What the hell have I done?! I just wanted a simple goodbye from Jenny, and I end up making Joey angry enough to torchur my best friend.

"Max? Yeah, we're going to have to call you back." Danny paused for a minute, and I faintly heard Max talking. "You're serious?!" Pause. "Max, stay safe. Joey is dangerous. Keep an eye on Jenny, we'll talk to you soon." Max said something, and Danny looked on my direction. "Yeah, I'll tell her. Bye." Danny hung up the phone, and wrapped an arm around me, bringing me to his chest. "Max says he'll talk to you soon." He whispered softly.

"I did this to Jenny." I murmured.

"Sky?" Danny looked at me confused.

"I did this to Jenny. I am the reason Joey hurt her. He could use her as bait to pull me in."

Danny held me closer, and pressed light kisses to my head. "She's safe. That's all that matters."

"He'll go after her again. Maybe even Max this time." I sat up straighter, and turned my head to look at Danny. "We need to go back."

"What?"

"Danny, we need to go back! I can't leave them there for Joey to get his drunken hands on! He could hurt Jenny again! Max and Jenny are the only family that actually care about me! My parents don't give a flying shit about me. I need them, Danny." By the end of my rant, I was crying again.

Danny pulled me to his chest again, and rubbed my arms soothingly. "They're going to be okay, Skylar. We'll find a way to protect them. But, Joey is after us. He wouldn't go after them unless he needed to."

His words soothed me slightly, but I was still on edge.

"Hey, Sky."

"Yeah?" I asked quietly.

I felt his breath on my ear, and he kissed just below my ear tenderly. "I love you."

I smiled, and gripped his hand in mine. "I love you too."