Chapter Four A journey into the unknown

Bitter was the wind that blew across the barren morass that day, as they made their way up to higher ground. The terrain became rugged and the gradient steep as the low lying woodlands began to diminish in size behind them, now consisting only of small clumps on an ever expanding horizon. Colossal grey boulders lay strewn across the open ground like gigantic sheep on a hillside, grazing on the rich green carpet of moss and coarse grasses that covered the slopes. The wooden cart shuddered and creaked as it bounced off the uneven track that wound its way up the hill. Roughly hewn slate steps ascended the dewy acclivity making it slippery and awkward to walk on, causing Laila to lose her footing occasionally along the way, almost twisting her ankle.

“Where are you taking me?” she asked anxiously.

“Never you mind, just keep moving,” said the bearded Goblin prodding Laila sharply in the back with the tip of his spear.

When they reached the top of the ridge they stopped to survey the rolling downs.

“Look there it is down there Lev!” exclaimed the largest Goblin pointing to the valley below.

A glistening silver stream could be seen meandering through the alder trees that lined its margins.

“Right let’s get down there and set up” said the bearded Goblin excitedly.

As they descended the track towards the stream the rushing water could be heard gushing fiercely upon the wind.

The stream was wild and swift and cascaded down through the valley, dropping steeply in places and creating beautiful picturesque pools of white water.

Once they arrived on the bank they followed the watercourse downstream for a distance until they finally found a suitable area sheltered from the wind beside a dense group of alders.

“This will do!” said the bearded Goblin. “Put the cart over by that rock and get the rods out Tuk,” he said to the biggest one.

“Right, you sit there” he said pushing Laila violently backwards onto a large boulder.

“What do you want me to do Lev?” asked the smallest Goblin putting his spear down and rubbing his hands together.

“I want you to stay here and keep guard and make sure the Sapien doesn’t try to escape Volk,” he said picking up his spear and passing it back to him.

“Oh, Ok Lev” he mumbled subserviently.

The bearded Goblin and his larger associate then proceeded to make their way down to the water’s edge with a couple of split cane fishing rods in their hands.

“You fish that swim up by the eddy Tuk and I’ll cast upstream towards the fallen willow,” said the bearded Goblin whilst baiting his hook with what appeared to be a large pink shrimp.

The small Goblin couldn’t hide his frustration as he stood there and watched enviously at his cohort’s casting their baits into the turbulent swell.

“You seem ruffled” said Laila cautiously attempting to make conversation with the sorrowful rogue.

“Do you want to fish too?” she asked

“Shut up!” he snapped.

“Sorry” she said cowering nervously.

He leant his spear carefully up against a tree and sat down on a large rock before resting his long dejected chin in his hands. An uncomfortable silence ensued as he sat in dour observation of his companion’s pleasure before he turned around to Laila.

“Yes, actually I do want to fish,” he said glumly.

“Maybe they will let you have a go later”.