Chapter 20

My phone buzzed, waking me from my dreams of Kelly. I glanced in confusion at the blanket that covered me, which hadn't been there when I'd fallen asleep in the chair.

Ella, I thought, glancing at her sleeping figure on the couch.

I untangled the blanket from around my legs and picked up my phone.

I checked the caller I.D and hustled into the kitchen as quietly as I could, not wanting to wake Ella.

"Hey Collins, where are---"

"Where the hell are you?" Collins hissed. "We had a meeting scheduled for 8:00 with Brennan, remember?" I checked my watch. 8:02. Not good.

"Shit," I mumbled. "I'll be there soon. Stall as long as you can. Tell him I'm chasing a lead," I begged.

"You owe me," Collins grumbled. He hung up and I rushed back into the living room.

"Ella?" I said, leaning over the couch and shaking her shoulder. She gasped awake, startled. "Hey, it's okay. Everything's fine." Her gaze softened, and I could see the pity in her eyes as she remembered last night's conversation. I could almost feel my heart hardening, turning to stone, as I forced away all my emotions. I emptied my mind of everything but thoughts of the job.

I looked away as Ella's big puppy dog eyes filled with tears She was likely thinking of Kelly's death, and of the broken man left behind.

"Ben, I--"

I held up a hand. "No. Don't. I'm sorry to wake you, but I have to step out, and I didn't want you to worry when you woke up and I was gone."

She paused for a moment, blinking in confusion, then she said, "Oh... Where do you have to go?"

"A meeting with my boss," I said bluntly, while quickly changing my shirt and pulling on my shoes.

"Why?"

"He's just checking in," I lied. "But I'm late. Keep the doors locked, don't open them for anyone but me or Collins. Not even for Gabe." I still wouldn't look at her.

"I have to work."

"Call in sick. It's not safe for you to be on your own, and Collins and I are both needed at the meeting."

Her brow furrowed. "Ben, I'll be fine."

"Ella." I said firmly, holding her gaze for the first time since she'd woken up. "I'm not suggesting this. You really cannot be out while we're not with you. I'll be back as soon as I can, and you can head into work then, if you want. Please. Stay here until I get back. I've got to go." I said, striding toward the door. "How far is city hall?" I asked over my shoulder.

"About a mile from here."

I could be there in 6 minutes, running hard. I turned the door knob, but stopped when Ella said,

"Ben?"

"What?" She flinched at the edge in my voice and I tried to ignore the puppy dog look, impatient to get moving.

"Are you sure you're okay?" She said softly, stepping towards me. I backed away.

"I'm fine." I gritted my teeth at how cold my voice sounded.

She stopped and crossed her arms. "How are you really?"

I paused, then whispered, "I don't know." I gave her a pathetic half smile, but it was all I could muster. "See you later," I mumbled, then I turned and headed to town, running hard.

***

"About damn time," Collins glared at me and I ran up the city hall steps, taking three at a time. I glanced at my watch. It read 8:10.