Chapter Forty-Five: Making Repairs

I forced a smile. “I shall see you then,” I replied, pressing a kiss to her cheek.

Mike watched our exchange, a smirk playing at the edges of his mouth as, despite how clueless he usually was, he managed to pick up on the tension between Bella and myself. I quelled his satisfaction by gathering Bella into my arms to kiss her goodbye quite thoroughly. Bella responded with equal passion, and I enjoyed Mike's reaction as he stomped away from us, dismayed by our affectionate display.

Pulling back, I kissed Bella on the nose and promised in a husky voice, “See you tonight, love.” Bella's eyes were slightly unfocused as I released her; she shook her head a few times to clear it, apparently “dazzled” once again, before she returned my smile.

As I exited the store, I glanced over my shoulder for one more look at my love. Bella was peering into Esme's lunch basket, a small smile playing across her face. I couldn't help grinning to myself at her eager expression as I left Newton's Olympic Outfitters in a much better mood than I possessed upon entering it.

Unfortunately, my good mood was extremely short-lived. All it took to bring my smile crashing into a frown was the thought of how Bella was spending this evening: with the Blacks. I was only slightly annoyed with Billy Black; he knew what we were, but he was sworn to secrecy. As much as he may not like us, he was bound by the treaty to protect our secret. I could handle his scorn and even his fear much better than I could deal with the more complex thoughts of his son.

But why? What was it about Jacob Black that troubled me?

As I ran back to our home, the forest blurring as my mind pondered this question, I realized that I simply didn't trust Jacob Black. I couldn't quite pinpoint the reason behind my distrust, but I had a sinking feeling that Bella was not safe in his presence.

I shook my head in bemusement. What was I thinking? I was no Alice, and the wolf-gene seemed to have died out with Ephraim Black and his small pack seventy years ago. But then why was there a niggling disquiet in the back of my mind at the thought of Bella spending time with him? They had known each other since they were toddlers, and Jacob certainly wasn't old enough to be attractive to Bella; he was a couple of years younger, and there was simply no way an eighteen-year-old like Bella would consider dating an almost sixteen-year-old like Jacob, even if Bella were unattached....

Which she wasn't.

Approaching our home, I leapt up the porch stairs and through the front door. The living room was empty...except for a dark-haired pixie seated on the white sofa, legs crossed and arms folded across her chest. Her disgruntled expression brought me up short.

Sighing as I perceived both her mood and her desire to discuss the day's events in excruciating detail, I seated myself on the sofa beside her. Suddenly mind-weary, I dropped my head into my hands, my elbows on my knees for support.

I closed my eyes with another heavy sigh, rubbing my fingers over the closed lids in frustration. This was the kind of day that saps even the strength of a vampire. I had felt incredible highs and heart-stopping lows today. This yo-yo of an emotional rollercoaster was exhausting, even for an immortal.

“Okay, Alice. Let's hear it,” I groaned, my head still in my hands.

“You are an ass, Edward Cullen,” she started. And I knew it would only get worse.

“What did I do this time?” I grumbled, although I knew exactly where this confrontation was heading...unfortunately.

“You are hurting my best friend, and I won't allow it. Not even from you! I don't care if you're my brother. Bella is my best friend—my first real friend outside of this family—and I won't let you upset her like this!” Alice nearly spat.