Chapter Forty-Five: Making Repairs

Start from the beginning

Man, Bella has the most amazing ass. I'll have to ask her to do ladder stocking more often. The view is incredible—a private show, just for me. Man, I wish she were mine. She can't be THAT into Cullen, can she? He's just so—

I placed Esme's basket on the sales counter in front of Mike, glaring at him with absolute loathing which, fortunately for him, halted his offensive thoughts...before I killed him. Seriously.

Shit! I didn't see Cullen there. Damn! I wonder if he saw....

My icy eyes stared him down. “Yes, I saw,” I hissed, just loud enough for him to hear, but low enough that Bella didn't. I leaned over him, keeping my voice low and menacing so that only Mike could hear me. “Newton, if I EVER see you checking out Bella like that again, or if I hear of you assigning her a task merely to provide yourself with your own 'private show,' I will make you rue the day you were born. Do you understand?” My eyes promised him certain death if he attempted such a stunt again.

If I wasn't deathly angry, I might have laughed at the thought that Newton would probably stay on the opposite side of the store from Bella from now on.

Unable to form words from sheer fright, Newton nodded, his face ghostly pale.

“Good,”I hissed. Turning in her direction, I forced a smile for Bella who was still unaware of my presence. “Good afternoon, Bella,” I said quietly, trying not to surprise her overly much, concerned that she could fall from her perch.

Despite my attempt at a gentle greeting, Bella twisted atop the ladder, almost losing her balance. I started moving toward her, all-too-aware that Newton's presence bound me to human-like speed. Catching herself with both hands gripping the side supports of the ladder, Bella grinned widely at me as she clambered down.

I breathed easy again, now that she was safely on solid ground.

“What are you doing here?” she smiled as she approached the sales counter where I stood, obviously thrilled to see me.

“I brought back your truck; the oil is changed and I installed a new air filter. And I brought you lunch,” I replied, indicating the small basket on the counter. “Esme made it for you.”

“Thank you!” Bella exclaimed, smiling still. “Can you stay and talk to me while I eat?”

Mike cleared his throat awkwardly, his former pallor becoming pink with embarrassment. (He really shouldn't tempt me with blood rushing to his face like that—the desire to kill him was becoming more and more difficult to stifle.) “Um, Bella...remember, my mom and dad are coming in during lunch for a store meeting? Amy's going to watch the store for us while we're in the back.”

Bella's face fell. “Oh, yeah. I forgot.” Her glance returned to me, regret in her eyes.

Completely ignoring Mike, I leaned toward her, kissing her on her forehead. “I'll see you tonight, then, love.”

She frowned. “After the party?”

Puzzled, I asked, “The party?”

“You know, Billy asked Charlie and me over for dinner tonight. I think he's inviting the Clearwaters, too.”

Oh, right. She would be spending the evening with Jacob. I was not happy about her attending the party, but I knew that she was doing it more to keep the peace with Charlie than for any desire to spend time with the Quileutes. Young Jacob shouldn't really be any trouble. Bella viewed him as only a friend, despite Jacob's occasional thoughts to the contrary. I took a deep breath, schooling my features into a calm mask.

“Certainly,” I responded, my voice clipped. “Do you still want me to come by afterward?”

“Of course!” she responded emphatically before looking down, apparently upset. “I always want you to come by,” she murmured under her breath.