Chapter Twelve ♥ "Friend's Betrayal"

Start from the beginning

“I..” Janaan paused, getting uncomfortable. “I have worked really hard to accomplish this and now that,” she looked away from him, her eyes fixed on the table.  “Now that I am one step away from my dreams I don’t think I would put my interest in something else.” She said dryly. “And as you know, when I do something, I want to give it my best.” She mused and Zayed faked a smile, because he got her answer. She is too career orientated to think the way he wants him to think. Too concentrated, too ambitious.

*'♥♫*

After a few days

The room was dark and freezing when Umm Zayed entered it. She had knocked three times but Zayed didn’t open, so she let herself in. Now that she heard the sound of splashing water from the bathroom, she knew he was taking a shower. And just like a typical mother, she started organizing his messy room, opening the drawn long curtains, allowing bright light to spill into the room, and making the bed.

As for Zayed, after having taken a bath, he walked in the dressing room to get ready for work. He opened the wardrobe and started picking up his clothes. Selecting a white Kandoorah, he quickly slipped it in and was doing his buttons when he heard a slight movement in his room. He frowned.

“Mother?” He guessed, walking out of the dressing room. He saw his mother holding one of the pillows on the bed. She smiled when she looked up at him and set the pillow on its right place.

“Good morning.” Umm Zayed said with a sad smile, making his son worried. He could see the dark circles around her eyes. She looked a little worn out.

“Good morning,” He walked over to kiss her forehead then looked closely at her. “Why are you doing this?” He gestured to his bed.

“It’s okay. I miss doing it.” Zayed smiled at that motherly habit that won’t go away. “Cleaning your room has always been easier than Jassim’s.” He grinned at that, and bent to take his phone from the bed side table where it was set on charge. From the corner of his eyes, he noticed his mother sit on the bed. Her silence proved that something was wrong.

“What is it mother?” He stuffed his phone in his pocket and came to sit beside her, curiously. “Is something wrong?”

Umm Zayed looked up at her oldest son, tears shining in her eyes. “Your father, he couldn’t sleep last night.” She said, her voice shaking and something tightened in Zayed’s chest. “He hasn’t been eating well and has been feeling nauseas a lot these days.” She explained, and then sighed as if her heart got a little lighter by sharing her pain with her son.

“Why haven’t you told me this before? Why didn’t you come to me last night? I should take him to the hospital.” He stood up, making his mind.

“No, not you. Your father didn’t want you to get worried. Laylah took an appointment and Jassim’s going to take him to the hospital today. You should go to work, your father suggested.”

“Did he tell you that himself?” Zayed was concerned that his father might still be upset with him.

“Yes, he said you already have too much work pressure on yourself.”

“When is the appointment?”

“Jassim’s going to take him at 4 o’clock. He says he’ll skip his class.” Umm Zayed shook her head disapprovingly. “He’d be happy to do that.” She added, smoothing the bed sheet and not looking at him.

“How’s his blood pressure been?” Zayed inquired, taking back his seat next to his mother.

“It was normal when I checked it yesterday morning but it was high last night.” This time she looked up at him, with bothered eyes that, oddly, carried…hope.