Soulmates

A/N: So I just found out about the TiMER-verse AU... and well, this is the kind of story I write when I actually have some idea of where I want it to go. LOL. This isn't very fluffy, though. (It's about Robbie, anyway, isn't that already kind of a deal sealer?)

It was one of those things that you weren't born with, but couldn't remember getting, either, like your first tooth or your first piece of candy.

Often, your mother would tell you that you were so quiet while the doctor attached the little device that was your TiMER on your wrist that they wondered if you could feel it at all. Your parents were worried for a while when no numbers appeared at first, but then almost a month after the procedure the little screen on the inside of your left wrist suddenly lit up and started counting down, so their worry was taken away.

Twenty. That's how old you would be when you met him.

><><><

At first you didn't really get it because you didn't understand what love was, and you weren't sure if you wanted to have any part in it if that meant you had to talk to boys. Boys were gross.

Then, you grew older and you completely got why everybody was so hyped about these TiMERs.

Like everyone else, you couldn't wait to meet your soulmate. You often spent your time daydreaming about what he might be like, but often you would snap out of it and remind yourself that there was no need to fantasise: You would meet him one day, and everything would fall into place.

Then you met Drake and you decided that maybe waiting around for some guy who the TiMER claimed was your true love wasn't all that necessary.

><><><

He was nice.

He was two years older than you, smoked and had a lip ring, but he wasn't a bad guy. He didn't really like people and tended to stay away from them, but he could talk to you as easily as most couldn't and he made you laugh.

He wasn't bad, he was just different. That's what you told everybody who gave you looks.

Dating someone who wasn't your soulmate was rare but not unheard of, and Drake wouldn't meet his soulmate until he was sixty. In his own words: "I'm not waiting around for that shit. I might die of lung cancer before I get that old!" and then he dropped his cigarette to the ground and immediately lit up a new one, and you couldn't help but agree, even though you couldn't recall any stories of a TiMER being wrong at all.

><><><

There were some movies that tried to defy TiMERs.

They would always have the same basic storyline: Girl meets soulmate, soulmate is an asshole, girl meets other guy who she really likes, girl needs to choose between asshole soulmate and nice guy, girl picks nice guy.

(Or, well, something along those lines.)

Your parents would always scoff at those movies, but you liked them.

It wasn't that you thought your soulmate would be an asshole like in the movies or anything, and it wasn't that you didn't have the patience to wait around until you were twenty, either.

It was just that whenever you thought of waiting, Drake with his forty-two years to go would cross your mind and you'd feel guilty.

Yet, when he broke up with you, you weren't surprised.

><><><

You were standing in the smoking-hole (you didn't smoke but he did, and you liked to spend lunchbreaks with him) when he turned to you and said: "I don't think this is working."