Chapter 5

"Dare" I say confidently as I lean back in my seat.

Cassie looked fairly disappointed with my answer, clearly hoping that through the game she would be able to coax me into share some juicy details with her about Josh or Connor or both.

"Three shots," she said reaching behind her for the alcohol and shot glasses. "I dare you to take three shots."

"Seriously?" I asked as I watch her fill the first glass. "That's the best you can do?"

"Yeah." Brian piped up, "come on babe, you can do better!"

Cassie smiled smugly as she pushed the cups towards me. "Don't doubt me so much Brian, this girl gets crazy if you get enough alcohol in her."

Connor chuckled as he looks over at the full glass still sitting before me. "Now that's something I would like to see."

With a sudden boost of confidence, I grabbed the cups from the table and swiftly downed their contents, feeling the buzz immediately begin to run through my veins.

"Okay" I said, a smile tugging at my lips "Game on."

Cassie laughed before grabbing the vodka and pouring everyone else a couple shots. "Drink up everybody! The fun has just begun!"

The game went on for another couple hours. During which time I laughed so hard I was expecting to find abs at the end of the night. Or at the very least a couple pounds shaved off my waist line.

I mean, who knew that boring old (very handsome) Brian had that side to him; honestly I was starting to understand Cassie's infatuation with the guy.

I looked over at Connor and watched him take another shot, before looking down at his watch.

"Is it that late already?" He asked "Damn, I got to run. Early shift in the morning."

He grabbed his phone from the table and stuffed it into his pocket before lifting himself from the table. "Thanks for dinner girls. Everything was delicious. Kelly, walk me out?"

I blushed slightly before getting up from my own seat and leading Connor towards the door. I reached out for the knob and pushed it slightly, opening the door just a crack.

"Truth or dare?" Connor asked, pushing the door closed and backing me up against it.

"What?"

Connor gazed down at me, his breath hitting my forehead. "Truth or dare. Pick one."

"Dare."

Connor smiled "Kiss me."

*

I showed up almost an hour late to work the next day, my head pounding from a hangover. Breathing a large sigh of relief when Tracy told me there had been no emergencies, appointments or even messages all morning.

"Wow Kells," Josh muttered, strolling into my office, with an apologetic Tracy following behind. "You look terrible."

"I'm so sorry I didn't warn yo-" Tracy piped in, her hands fidgeting as she looked between me and the boss.

I raised my hand up to stop Tracy, her anxiousness doing nothing but annoying me and hurting my already pounding head. "It's okay Tracy, I'm not upset!"

Tracy nodded hesitantly before turning back to her desk, leaving Josh to torture me with hurtful – but playful – insults.

"You go out again last night or something?" he asked, sliding into my office chair. "Because honestly you look like crap."