Chapter Five | 1975 | Betrayal

Chapter Five

1975

Betrayal

            'Five more minutes!'

Professor Flitwick’s voice nearly made James jump as he wrote the last words of his exam. He straightened, put down his quill and pulled his parchment toward him to read what he’d written.

James yawned hugely and rumpled up his hair, making it even messier than it had been. Then, with a glance towards Professor Flitwick, he turned in his seat and grinned at a boy sitting four seats behind him.

Sirius give James the thumbs-up; he was lounging in his chair at his ease, tilting it back on two legs. He was very good-looking; his dark hair fell into his eyes with a sort of casual elegance neither James's could ever achieve, and a girl sitting behind him was eyeing him hopefully, though he didn't seem to have noticed.

Two seats along from this girl was Remus. He looked rather pale and peaky, as the full moon was only a little ways off, and was absorbed in the exam: as he reread his answers, he scratched his chin with the end of his quill, frowning slightly.

Peter sat a little ways away, looking troubled: a small, mousy-haired boy with a pointed nose. Peter looked anxious; he was chewing his fingernails, staring down at his paper, scuffing the ground with his toes. Every now and then he glanced hopefully at his neighbour's paper.

James, now finished with his exam and very bored, began doodling on a bit of scrap parchment. He had drawn a Snitch and was now tracing the letters 'L.E.' very carefully – more cautiously than his exam.

'Quills down please!' squeaked Professor Flitwick. 'That means you too, Stebbins! Please remain seated while I collect your parchment! Accio!'

Over a hundred rolls of parchment zoomed into the air and into Professor Flitwick's outstretched arms, knocking him backwards off his feet. Several people laughed. A couple of students at the front desks got up, took hold of Professor Flitwick beneath the elbows and lifted him back onto his feet.

'Thank you, thank you,' panted Professor Flitwick. 'Very well, everybody, you're free to go!'

James hastily crossed out the 'L.E.' he had been embellishing, jumped to his feet, stuffed his quill and the exam paper into his bag, which he slung over his back, and stood waiting for Sirius to join him.

Snape was a short way away, moving between the tables towards the doors of the Entrance Hall, still absorbed in his own exam paper. Round-shouldered, yet angular, he walked in a twitchy manner, that recalled a spider, and his oily hair was jumping about his face.

A gang of chattering girls separated Snape from James, Sirius and Lupin.

'Did you like question ten, Moony?' asked Sirius, as they emerged into the Entrance Hall.

'Loved it,' said Lupin briskly. 'Give five signs that identify the werewolf. Excellent question.'