Chapter 9

'Why doesn't he just finish me already?' Dick thought.

He looked up and saw his reflection on the TV screen. His face was swollen. One of his eyes was swollen shut, he had a long cut on his temple, blood ran down into his other eye, making it hard to see out of it, his head was throbbing, and the dizziness was back.

Steve walked through the door carrying a gun. "So do you finally get it?"

"Get what? That you want me dead, but for whatever reason you won't kill me?" Dick questioned in a weak voice.

Steve just laughed. "Yes, my ultimate goal is to kill you, but I figured I'd let you suffer and make you wish you were dead."

"Then do it," Dick said trying his best to glare at Steve

Steve put the gun right up to Dick's temple. "I suppose I've had my fun. I got rid of Bruce, beat you to a bloody pulp, the only thing I don't have is my beloved Barbra. Maybe after I finish you I'll take her and go to Florida. We'll spend the rest of our lives together."

"No," Dick tried to yell out, but he only managed to get out a horse voice.

Steve laughed again. "What are you going to do about it. You'll be dead."

Dick glared up as Steve began to put pressure on the trigger. Dick closed his eyes and waited for the bullet that would end his life. 'At least I'll get to see mom and dad again.'

"So long," Steve said with a big demonic grin.

Before he completely pulled the trigger, the lights went out. "What the..." Steve shouted as he looked around the room.

Dick opened his good eye and looked around as well. What they saw next surprised them both.

A figure passed by the window and Steve pointed the gun toward it. "What the heck is going on?" Steve demanded.

The figure stood right in front of the window, but because of the difference in lighting inside and out, all Steve and Dick could see was the shape of a dark figure.

"Who's there?" Steve shouted.

The figure spread their arms out and it appeared as if they had wings.

'Bruce?' Dick questioned surprised. 'But I thought...'

Steve's eyes went wide and he placed his other hand on the gun. "N-no way. I killed you!"

The figure put their arms down and walked toward the window.

"S-stay back!" Steve shouted as fear began to creep into his voice.

When the figure didn't stop, Steve fired the gun at the figure's chest. "Ha, I warned you," he exclaimed smugly when he saw the figure stop and take a few steps back.

"No," Dick cried out in fear, but both Dick and Steve were surprised to see the figure still standing and showing no sign that they just got shot.

"What the..." Steve questioned and began shooting the rest of the bullets in the gun.

The figure began walking toward Steve as if the bullets weren't even there.

When the gun ran out of bullets, Steve threw the gun at the figure, but the figure just dodged it. "W-what are you? Some kind of demon?" he asked then began backing up. "You're supposed to be dead!"

Dick stared at the figure surprised, but when the figure walked past him, he noticed something. The figure, who he thought was Bruce, did not have a flat chest. 'Barbra?'

Steve hit the wall behind him then took a step forward and threw a punch at the figure.

The figure blocked the punch and gave a return kick which sent him crashing into the wall.