Chapter 7

After checking on Bruce, Gordon, Brian, and Jarod burst through the door and looked around. "There!" Brian shouted as he pointed to a car that was leaving the lot at a faster speed then it should have.

"Dang," Gordon said as he ran toward his car. He opened the door and grabbed the radio. "Dispatch, we have an escaped prisoner on the loose. He just left the hospital and is headed for the downtown area. Send cars to intercept."

"Ten fore, Commissioner," a woman answered over the radio.

Gordon put the radio back then walked back to Brian and Jarod. "You two try to catch up to him."

"What 'bout you, Sir?" Jarod asked.

"I'm staying here. Bruce is a good friend of mine, and I want to be here in case Steve has the nerve to try to finish what he started."

Brian and Jarod nodded then ran to their car. Gordon watched them as they left the lot then went back inside to see if they found anything out about Bruce.

Gordon walked into the waiting room and saw Alfred talking to what looked like a doctor then looked over and saw Barbra trying to comfort Dick.

He walked over to Alfred and the doctor. "Who knows when he'll wake up," Stanburg said.

"What happened?" Gordon asked.

Alfred and the doctor turned to him. "Master Bruce is out of surgery, but he is now in a coma," Alfred answered.

"I see," Gordon said. He looked over at Dick and Barbra. "How's Dick?"

Alfred sighed and shook his head. All three of tem then walked over to the two. "Dick, he'll be fine. Bruce is one of the strongest guys I know. He'll probably be awake and back to his regular activities in a few days," Barbra said.

"She's right," Stanburg said. Dick looked up at him, his eyes full of hope. "Bruce may be in a coma now, but he could wake up first thing in the morning asking for you again."

Everyone looked at Stanburg confused. "Again?" Barbra asked.

"Mr. Wayne was half conscious during the surgery and kept callin out Dick's name," Stanburg explained. "We got him stable and replaced the blood he lost so he's out of the woods."

"Then why is he in the coma?" Dick asked.

"It was probably a combination of the blood loss, worry, and injuries," Stanburg answered.

Dick looked down sadly. "Mr. Stanburg, could we see Master Bruce?" Alfred asked. Dick again looked at Stanburg hopefully.

"I'm sorry," Stanburg said, "he's in recovery. You'll have to wait until we move him to a room."

"Very well. Thank you," Alfred said.

Stanburg nodded. "Well, I have other patients to check on." He then left the room.

Alfred sat down next to Dick. "Don't worry, Master Dick, Master Bruce will be back to normal soon."

They all waited about two hours before a nurse came in. "Mr. Pennyworth?"

"Yes?" Alfred asked as he stood up.

"Dr. Stanburg told me to tell you that Mr. Wayne is now in a room. I've came to take you to him," the nurse said.

"Thank you," Alfred said then all four of them followed the nurse to Bruce's room.

As they walked, Barbra grabbed Dick's hand. Dick looked at her and she gave him a smile. He gave her a small smile back and squeezed her hand. "Thanks," he told her quietly.