ten [strangers]

____________________

t e n

strangers

[3 months later: August 2nd]

____________________

"Now we have Jaden Henline up to bat. One of Red Land's best players, he's known to hit a homerun or two, not to mention his pitching..."

I tune out the announcer and turn my attention back to the game. The score was 13-1, and even though we were ahead I couldn't help feeling nervous. It was the district championship, and winning this meant the boys would go to sectionals, then states, then regionals - and then, if all went well - Williamsport. I knew it had always been Jaden's dream to go to the Little League World Series, ever since he was a little kid. And to be so close to fulfilling that dream...well, I could only imagine how nervous he must be as he stepped up to the plate.

The other team, Camp Hill, was pretty good, even though they obviously hadn't been scoring very well today. We'd played them before, and though they never come close to beating us, they'd done the best against us than any other team we'd played this season.

The first two pitches were outside, and I really hoped they weren't trying to walk him. But I could understand why they might, since he was such a good hitter and the bases were loaded.

He threw the third pitch.

Jaden swung.

And I held up my camera as the ball soared over the fence, at least twenty feet past it.

Everyone on our side stood up, including my row of me, my parents, Zoe, Maggie, and Raegan. I kept snapping pictures as everyone around me screamed and cheered, celebrating the grand slam. I finally lowered the camera after the boys had finished smacking Jaden's head and high-fiving him, and started cheering for him alongside my parents and the girls (especially Raegan).

When the crowd had died down, we sat back down on the bleachers, and I snuck a glance at the scoreboard: 17-1, 4th inning. I couldn't hide my grin - we were one step closer to Williamsport. I didn't want to get ahead of myself; after all, they still had to go through sectionals, states, and then regionals, but I couldn't help thinking about the fact that they were so close.

The rest of the game was amazing - for us, that is. The other team didn't score again, meanwhile we had 8 more runs, including a home run from Cole. (It was his second - he had hit an inside-the-park home run in the second inning.)

After the game was over, we ran down to meet them, and I handed my camera to my dad as Jaden ran toward me and swept me up in a bear hug. Normally I would yell at him for making me touch him when he's all gross and sweaty, but this time I was too proud of him to care.

"Oh my gosh Jay, you were amazing!" I exclaimed as he finally set me down. "I'm so proud of you."

He grinned, not having time to respond since he was immediately bombarded by my mom squeezing the life out of him. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes; she could be so emotional sometimes, and I knew she was probably crying as she hugged my brother.

Behind him, Cole came up to us, and Zoe, Maggie, and Raegan all congratulated him before giving some bullcrap excuse about having to leave early. Traitors. I glared at them as they walked away, leaving me alone with Cole.

Cole, as in the boy who almost kissed me three months ago and then declared his love for me only to have his heart broken when I rejected him.

Yeah, that Cole.

"Hey, congrats," I said, giving him a stiff smile. Despite his goodbye three months earlier, I refused to let him go completely. I knew I should, but I just couldn't. He was too important to me to cut off. "You were great out there." He was more than great - he was incredible - but I wanted to get this conversation over with quickly so I could get away from him and his blue eyes and soft hair and heart-melting smile and oh my god I think I have a problem.

"Thanks," he replied, not showing any emotion.

Breathe, Riley, breathe.

He cleared his throat awkwardly, trying to fill the silence. "Well, I should probably, uh, get back to my parents."

I nodded, relief flowing through me. "Yeah, me too."

Cole gave me a nod before heading in the other direction. "Bye, Riley."

"Bye," I said. I hated how he acted around me. I knew I deserved it, but that didn't make it any easier. All I wanted was to go back to how we were before.

Before we almost kissed.

Before he said he loved me.

Before I broke his heart.

But now, we were strangers.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to be in love with a stranger?

----------

sorry it took me so long to update, i've had the worst writer's block lately for this story. but i think i'm over it now, i've already planned out the next couple chapters so hopefully the story will start to move along quicker! :)

as always, i hope you guys liked this chapter (even though it's shorter than amber rose's hair), remember to comment and vote for more :))

~linds