four [carrots and movie nights]

____________________

f o u r

carrots and movie nights

____________________

"So then I was like, girl please, get your ugly carrot self out of h-"

My phone dinged with a new notification, interrupting Emmett in the middle of his FaceTime rant about some girl who apparently claimed she knew more about Louis Tomlinson than him. Big mistake. (A/N: me af)

"Sorry, Em, it's Cole," I said apologetically, before opening the text.

"Ooh, the hot boy next door, I see. Take all the time you need," he smirked. Emmett was truly one-of-a-kind; being a fifteen-year-old boy who was in love with One Direction and Louis Tomlinson, and not afraid to tell off anyone who said Louis was anything other than absolute perfection. (A/N: EMMETT IS LITERALLY ME OK BYE) Hence why he's my best friend.

I laughed at Emmett and opened the text.

8:32 p.m.

Cole: hey ry, do you and jaden want to come over? i'm bored af

Riley: jaden's out with his friends, sorry

Cole: oh ok, well then maybe we could do something together?

Cole: crap does that sound dirty? i can never tell, jaden always turns whatever i say into something dirty

Riley: that's my gene pool....smh. what did i do to deserve this

Riley: but yeah, sure lmao. wanna come over and watch a movie or something?

Cole: your love for your brother is overwhelming

Riley: ikr

Cole: k, be there in 5

I closed the convo and went back to FaceTiming Emmett.

"Sorry Em, I have to go. Cole's coming over," I said, ignoring Emmett's smirk.

"Okay, just make sure he remembers to use pr-"

"Shut up!" I yelled, while bursting into laughter. "Bye, Emmett."

"See ya, loser." He winked and then ended the call.

I shook my head, still laughing as the doorbell rang. I hopped off my bed and went downstairs to greet Cole. "Hey, come on in," I said, closing the door behind him as he came inside.

Shivering, he took off his coat and put it on the coat rack beside the door. "Jesus, it's like freaking Antarctica out there."

I laughed and started walking towards the kitchen. "Why don't you pick out a movie and I'll make some hot chocolate. Just no horror movies, unless you want to go deaf in one ear from my screaming."

"I'll keep that in mind."

He headed into the family room to look at our movie collection, while I started making the hot chocolate.

Two minutes later, it was ready, and I carefully walked into the family room, setting the mugs down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"You are a goddess," Cole praised as he sat down on the couch and took a long sip of his hot chocolate.

"I'm aware." I sat down next to him. "So what movie did you pick out?"

He leaned forward and picked up the DVD case that was lying next to him on the couch.

I nodded in approval when I saw it. "Mmm, 'The Heat.' Good choice." It was one of my favorite movies, mostly because I'd watch anything with Sandra Bullock in it.

As Cole got out blankets, I put in the DVD and pressed play, before settling back down on the couch beside Cole, who spread the blanket over both of us.

An hour and a half into the movie, I started to yawn, snuggling deeper under the blanket.

Cole chuckled and looked down at me. "Tired?"

"Very," I mumbled, closing my eyes.

The last thing I remember before falling asleep was yawning one last time, and feeling Cole's eyes on me as I rested my head on his shoulder and whispered, "Goodnight, Cole."

-------------------

Cole's POV

"Tired?" I asked, smiling down at Riley.

"Very," she mumbled before closing her eyes and whispering, "Goodnight, Cole."

My heartbeat quickened as she laid her head on my shoulder, and soon I could feel her breathing become steady, a sure sign that she was asleep.

I smiled at her, thinking about how cute she was when she was sleeping.

Woah, dude, get a grip. I shook my head, trying to clear the thoughts out of my head. I was probably just tired.

I turned on my phone and checked the time: 10:30. Crap. My parents were probably freaking out. I quickly texted my mom, asking her if it was okay for me to sleep over at the Henline's. She responded right away and said that was fine.

I sighed in relief and decided I should get up and make a bed for myself on the floor. But as I was getting up from the couch, Riley stirred in her sleep, reaching out an arm and wrapping it around me, holding me down. Subconsciously, she mumbled, "Don't leave."

I settled back into the couch and smiled down at her, thinking to myself, Don't worry, I won't.

----------------------

third-person POV

Jaden quietly opened the front door, checking the time on his phone and mentally cursing. His parents were probably asleep, but he was definitely going to get in trouble the next morning for being out so late. He sighed and shrugged off his coat, hanging it on the coat rack beside the door. That's weird, he thought. There was another coat hanging up that he didn't recognize. He shrugged it off, being too tired to really care.

He silently crept towards the stairs, and was about to go up when he saw somebody out of the corner of his eye. No - make that two somebodies. Confused, he walked into the family room and froze when he saw what was going on.

Cole was there, asleep on the couch with a blanket over him. That, Jaden didn't mind. What he did mind was the fact that Riley was curled up next to him, her head on his shoulder and her arm wrapped tightly around him.

He took a deep breath, trying to ignore the painful memories that threatened to repeat themselves. This can't happen again, he thought.

She promised.

-------------------------

i had so many feels writing this chapter tbh

but now you know a little more about how cole feels about riley and how jaden feels about the two of them. (it will make more sense why he's so upset at the thought of them together later, i'll explain more in the next couple chapters)

as always, i hope you guys liked this and remember to comment and vote for more! :))

~linds