chapter 3

I sit straight up in bed panting. There's no left over image of a nightmare because chances are I wasn't having one. I've always gotten these things called night terrors, which are just terrible overwhelming feelings of fear. I sighed and rubbed my eyes and looked at the clock. 2 Am. Of course. Silently I grab some clothes and dress quickly. I know I'm not going to get any sleep soon so I might as well go blow off some steam.

I sigh in relief as I step outside into the cool night air. I set a brisk pace and began walking with my head down, having no idea where or what I was doing. I hated these night terrors so much. They've cost me so many bights of sleep and have led to more the a couple week of insomnia. I'm forced to stop my quick strides when I collide with a solid form.

"Jeez I'm sorry!" I started.

"No no no I'm sorry god I'm such a klutz. I shouldn't even be out!" a familiar high pitched voice stammered.

I look up at the person and grin.

"Oh it's just you kellin." I say. I couldn't wipe the stupid grin off my face. How did just this one encounter with kellin make me feel ten times better?

"Oh Vic! What are you doing out so late? It's like 3am!" kellin says looking a little worried, which just made him cuter.

"I could ask you the same thing." I say with a chuckle.

"Oh uh...I'm just you know...walking?" he asked almost like a question instead of a statement.

"Ok....um are you alright?" I ask. Why was he acting so weird? I mean we're both out at a ridiculous hour of the night but I had a reason and I'm sure kellin does to.

"Yeah fine." He said almost defensively. "What are you doing out?" he asked skeptically.

I have to hold back a sigh. I guess neither one of us was going to be reveling anything tonight. "Same as you I guess. Just walking." I shrug trying to be nonchalant.

"Ok cool. We could walk together if you want? I mean you don't have to though. Don't feel obligated to just because I'm alone I can leave-"

"No its cool kellin. Let's go." I smile cutting off his adorable rambling. Kellin smiles gratefully and my chest tightens. I haven't known Kellin very long but I was beginning to realize that his smiles were hard to come by and it made me feel good to know that I was able to put one on his face. We walk in comfortable silence for a while our arms brushing together every so often. It was weird that I felt so comfortable around this strange kid. I mean he literally showed up out of nowhere.

"Um if you want we can stop by the café? Its open twenty four hours and I kind of want a coffee." Kellin suggests hesitantly looking over at me.

I don't think I could have said no to his adorable face even if I wanted to.

"That sounds good. I didn't know the café was open all night?" I said as we changed directions and headed toward the café.

"Well it makes sense if you think about it. This is a college and there are always students pulling an all-nighter to finish up their last minuet essay. Might as well make money off of them." Kellin shrugs. I make a noise of agreement and we are silent until we finally make it to the cafe. As expected the place is completely empty except for a very tired looking girl with short chin length green hair.

"How can I help you?" she asks in an Australian accent, trying and failing, to hold back a yawn.

I look at Kellin expectantly.

"Oh um just an iced coffee with no cream." He mumbles without looking up at the girl. I frown before telling the girl that ide take the same thing. I couldn't figure out why kellin was so...timid. Sometimes it seemed like maybe he was fine, but then times like this he would sink into some shell and it made me kind of worried. I tried to remind myself that it's none of my business though. Maybe he's just shy.