ღ Finding Cinderella (32)

Start from the beginning

"Aww. Thanks, you guys," she said and sat on Ronnie's bouncy bed. Her chest rose as she breathed deep. "My date is 48 hours from now, and I'm already nervous about the whole thing. I don't know what to do. What if I mess everything up?"

"First date?" asked Ronnie.

"My first date ever. Would Clark feel weird if I told him that?"

"Doubt so. I know for sure that he'll be overjoyed to know that he's the first guy," Julianne said.

"True that. He's probably gonna joke about the pressure, too." Ronnie flopped down next to Lacey and crossed her legs. "It's natural to be nervous. Been there, done that," she said proudly, as she was more experienced than any of us.

Lacey looked at her earnestly. "Can you describe your first date?"

"Wish I could. I've been on way too many first dates to actually remember which person it was or where it happened."

"Come on, I'm sure you have one you can share."

Ronnie rolled her eyes dramatically. "Okay, I'll pick from the list." She thought for a bit. "Oh, freshman year. Greyson Walter."

Julianne pulled up a disgusted face. "You dated Grey Walter? Ugh. I'm sorry, but he looks greasy and he always smells like smoke."

Ronnie laughed. "Kinda have to agree with that. He isn't my type, but I can't deny that he's hot."

"Yeah. If he takes a bath and you put duct tape over his mouth."

"Anyway, that date wasn't serious. I even doubt Grey remembers it," Ronnie continued. "I've had a lot of awkward and totally weird dates, and most of them were because of my doing, like ditching the guy halfway and spilling coffee on my shirt and head-butting him when we tried to kiss."

Lacey's face drained of color. "What if mine turns out worse? I have the tendency to act like a dork around him."

"It can't be that bad. Look, as cliché as this may sound, just be yourself. Keep your head up and don't let your tiara fall. Just don't bring up topics that will bore him to death. Copy?"

Lacey nodded. "Copy."

"Good girl." Ronnie smiled at her like a proud mom. "Make it the best date ever."

I almost dozed off. I wondered if this was usually how the popular girls hung out: spending the time talking about boys, clothes, and dates. Quite unexciting, really—for me, at least, since I had nothing relevant to share.

A sigh came from Ronnie as she put her hand under her chin. "Mine is yet to come," she said distantly.

Lacey tilted her head to the side. "You mean you haven't been on a date that you consider your best yet?"

"Nope." Ronnie gave all of us a crafty smile. "I'm still working my charm on Tristan, but he's so difficult."

All my sleepiness vanished instantly. Julianne cleared her throat and she gave me a sideways look that said did you just freaking hear what she said? Yes, I had heard it loud and clear, and it was making me uncomfortable. I did my best not to make any action that would show I was affected.

"Oh, I hate to burst your bubble, Ron, but word on the street is that he likes someone already," Julianne mentioned as casually as if she was talking about the climate.

"Yeah, I figured that one out already. Do you think it's that masked girl at the Valentine Ball?"

Lacey bit her lip to prevent herself from smiling while Julianne chanted, "Maaaybe. What do you think, Kylie?"