Chapter 10-Birthday Distraction

Start from the beginning

The slaughtering of his boyfriend seemed to be a personal favourite of his messed up brain. But now the dreams had moved on. So far along with killing Magnus in a multitude of ways he had strangled Jace during a training session and, most recently, stabbed Isabelle with a bread knife.

The result of this meant Alec could no longer look either of them in the eyes without being suffocated by guilt. So now the majority of his speech was directed to Clary or even Simon, who still spent the majority of his time at the Institute.

Alec still contributed the nightmares to the stress and left over effects of everything that had happened during their defeat of Valentine. It was just his brains method of coping and soon everything would be back to normal-he just had to ride it out. That’s all.

Which was why when the group: Jace, Isabelle, Clary and Simon all decided they were going out for an early birthday celebration for Isabelle using Maryse’s credit card  as neither she nor their father could make it back from Idris and so had given them her credit card to pay for their meal as an apology. Isabelle insisted she didn’t care.

There had been a massive debate about where to go. Jace was adamant they should go to a club but Isabelle wanted something more civilised this year. It was Simon who suggested the restaurant where Alec had taken Magnus for their date. Isabelle agreed instantly and so the decision was made.

Alec, despite everything that had been happening, knew he couldn’t miss his own sister’s birthday meal which was how he found himself sitting in the exact same garden as before but somehow it felt wrong without Magnus.

The night before a particularly vicious dream where he had stabbed Isabelle’s eyes out with a fork at the restaurant had left him incredible shaken and so disgusted with himself that he had refused to answer her all evening.

It was late when they reached the restaurant but the inky darkness of the night was held back by the shimmering lights which filled the restaurant garden.

 Even at this time the place was still pretty crowded but a helpful waiter, who happened to be a pixie, at least that’s what Jace told Clary, managed to find them an excellent table to the side a little way away from the glass back doors. Although that may have been thanks to the sight of Isabelle in her lacy black and purple mini-dress with ruffled sleeves and skirt teamed with black satin stilettoes.

They had only been seated a few minutes before an unpleasantly familiar figure came sliding up to their table.

“Well I just seem to be having all the luck tonight,” muttered their waiter, not spotting Alec. “My name’s Deacon and unfortunately I have the arduous task of being your waiter for this evening.”

Isabelle pursed her lips while Jace settled back into his chair in a more relaxed position while he sized up the Viperla.

“How many lemons did you have to suck to get your expression that sour?” Jace asked with mock innocence.

“How many times has mummy and daddy told you how special you are for you to gain such arrogance?” he snapped back immediately. At that comment Jace sprang to his feet as gracefully as a cat and would have lunged for Deacon if not for Clary’s restraining hand on his arm.

“Back off.” Isabelle said glaring up at the waiter.

“Now now boys,” Simon said hoping to lighten the mood and failing miserably, “no fighting until I’ve eaten. But if you like you two can be our after meal entertainment.”

Deacon’s orange eyes were flashing dangerously but he managed to control his temper-slightly.

“Just order your food mundane and I would advise you to keep your pathetic attempts at humour to yourself.