Prologue

A/N: This story is a collaboration with my best friend, KaiteRae. While she will be posting only the prologue and not the whole story, we'd appreciate if you voted for her as well since she is working on this story, too. Thanks, and I hope you like the story!

To vote for KaiteRae, the other co-author, please go here: http://www.wattpad.com/2075286-crystal-tears.

Twigs snapped beneath their feet as the girls ran. Beau did his best to let them stay in the lead. They were slower than he was, but he had to make sure they escaped even if that meant getting caught himself.

Jade lingered behind with Beau, tightening her sweaty grasp on his hand. Glancing behind her, she saw a shadow in the shape of a person. Tears slid down her face as she squealed and pulled Beau along faster. "He is behind us!"

Rylan looked back, too, when Jade shouted. Pure terror spread across her face at the sight of those determined, glaring eyes in the distance, and she put both of her hands on Addison's shoulders to push her to go faster. If Rylan hadn't been forcing her to move, Addy would've been killed a long time ago. Rylan was just as lost as Addison, but she didn't let it show because she was stronger than that. Or, was she?

The lights of the cabin shone through the darkness of the woods. They were almost there, but would they be safe? Windows could be broken. Locks could be picked. Wood could be burned. They all knew those things, but the cabin was the only security anywhere near them.

At the edge of the woods, Rylan's foot snagged on some tree roots. Addison was too out of it to notice and kept going, but Jade turned to help her best friend of ten years.  Beau grabbed Jade and shoved her into the cabin. It's not that he didn't care, but he knew that it would be too late for all of them by the time they untangled her foot.

He looked at Rylan with apologizing eyes as he forced his girlfriend into the cabin. Rylan wasn't angry though. She looked glad - glad that it had been her instead of one of the others. With her eyes, she thanked them both as they watched out the window. Then, the figure covered in shadows grabbed her.  She screamed and thrashed violently while the person pulled back into the forest.

Jade and Rylan's eyes met one last time as Jade watched through the window.

"Rylan! No, Rylan! I won't leave you, I won't! We'll save you, I swear! Rylan!" Jade screamed through her tears as she pounded the window. But, Beau made her stop before she hurt herself and pulled her into his arms.

Jade shoved away from him after a moment. Blinking her tears away, she looked across the room at Addison. She almost stepped towards her when she heard something hit the floor, barely audible.

Something was shining on the wood plank floor of the cabin. Bending over, Jade picked up what looked like a shard of glass... But, it couldn't be a shard. It was smooth, not ragged and broken, and it was shaped like a tiny raindrop.

As the tears slid from her face and landed in her hand, Jade realized where it had come from.