08 | S Y M P A T H Y

Start from the beginning

If I was able to raise my eyebrows any higher, I would. Harry seemed interested in watching the cars through the window. There was a chair nearby and he pulled it closer to both the window and I. He sat down on it and kept his full attention on the window. I was astonished. Every time we were this close, rude words or facial expressions were shared. But this...this was something different. Harry sat down beside me on his own terms and he was watching the passing cars with me. Well, he was the only one watching the passing cars. I, on the other hand, was watching him.

His curls were perfectly still and they were slightly shiny. I was tempted to reach out and touch them but I was afraid of the outcome. What if I touched his hair and he snapped? A part of me was enjoying this moment. Another part of me was on guard. I was not supposed to have any type of relationship with anyone and that included being friends. Harry was a rude, obnoxious man but deep down, a small percentage of my heart wanted to be friends with him.

The rest of my heart wanted to hit him with my car and back up just to hit him again.

I bet Harry knew I was watching him. Why was he staying quiet? His chin sat on the palm of his hand and I could see his eyes moving back and forth, watching the vehicles. Wrinkles formed on his forehead and I wondered if he was actually concentrating. I only examined the colors of the cars and the type of model they were. What was Harry examining? I was curious as to what went on in that man's head. He was somewhat off but so was I.

"Do you like cars?"

"What?" I blinked.

"I saw you watching the cars," he was speaking, but he was not looking at me. "You were watching them for a while. I thought you were being a moron but then you looked at me. So, I decided to come have a look for myself."

"I thought I was a Barbie doll?"

"You're a lot of things. I have a long list written."

"Seriously?"

"Mentally, of course. I don't have the time to write down a list about you. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I don't like you that much."

"I'm going to be here for a while." I sighed. "You might as well get used to me."

"A while, eh? You plan on leaving or something?"

I rolled my eyes, "Way to jump to conclusions. Bravo, I applaud you."

The corner of his lip twitched before curling up, "I don't see you applauding."

"What is it with you?" I wondered.

"I have no idea what you mean. English is filled with more than enough words, yeah? Use them and be more specific."

"God," I groaned. "When I leave for work, please stand behind my car."

"Are you saying you want to hit me with your car?" he questioned me, his smile more apparent. "Because that's madness and just plain rude."

"Do you even know what those words mean?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't have used them," he poked my head. "Do you even have a brain in there, Doll?"

"I thought I was a moron—"

"Like I said," he stood up from his chair. "You're a lot of things. A bitch is most definitely one of them."

"Thanks."

"Why'd you dye your hair?"

"I thought it was time for a change."

"Oh," he looked at me and I realized he was looking at my hair. "Well, I liked it better when you had different shades of blonde. You look boring now with just one color. Your sense of style is slacking. I'm very disappointed."