You're All I need To Get By

Start from the beginning

Darren’s POV

 Aisha runs in, and talks to Ryan for a few seconds, probably apologising for her lateness. She then comes over to me. “Hey,” I say, smiling as she leans down and presses her lips lightly to mine for a second.

 “Hey, you,” She says before standing up straight again and saying hi to everyone else.

  Ryan had had me in for quite a while over-time to film the extra accident scenes over the past few days. That was fun! (Note the sarcasm) But still, I’m happy because Will told me yesterday that, in the direction I’m going, I should be out of my chair in no time.

  I wheel towards the back room, to grab a bottle of water and find myself in the conundrum of not being able to get up the tiny step into the room. Doesn’t matter, I think. I’d been practicing walking for quite a while now, I’m pretty sure I can manage standing for a few moments, with something to lean against.

 I open the door before taking hold of one side of the doorframe, and hoisting myself up. Taking a steady hold on the doorframe, I get myself up the step and into the room. Now for the chair, I think. I turn and take hold of the chair in one hand, edging back into the room and taking the chair with me.  Almost there, now just for the last wheel. I pull but it gets caught so I try to bend down and get it, not thinking for a moment. I end up falling back, unable to get back up.

 “Oh, for…” I curse under my breath colourfully, before sitting up. I bend my legs and try to get back up but don’t manage it. Well…I’m screwed.

 I can’t try and get someone’s attention without making any noise, and that would disrupt filming. No, wait, phone.

 I dig through my pockets before realising it is in my bag. Which is on my chair. Damn chair.

 I can’t reach it; I’m just going to have to sit. I put my head in my hands, pissed off.

(20 minutes later)

 “Darren? Oh my God, Darren! Are you okay? What happened?” I breathe a sigh of relief when I hear Aisha’s familiar voice.

 “I’m fine; I just slipped whilst trying to get my wheelchair up the step.” I say. I had managed to get into a comfortable sitting position where my legs were crossed, but I am still unable to get up. I look up at her as she puts my chair into the room before coming to sit on the floor by me.

 “You should’ve said if you needed help,”

 “That’s exactly the thing though. Why should I need help? Why is my body so damn incapable? Why me? ” My voice rises on the last bit as I hit my knees.

 Aisha takes hold of my hands and puts them both in her lap, sandwiched between her own. She waits a while before saying: “Darren, I’m here. You’re not alone. I love you, and I’m here.” She takes our linked hands up to her mouth to kiss the back of mine as she finishes talking.

 “I love you too.” I say, looking her in the eye, and really meaning it.

 Slowly, very slowly, to make her aware of my every movement, I lean forward and gently press my lips to hers. Just for a second, teasing her, before I take them away and run my lips down the length of her jaw, gently brushing her skin.

 Sighing, she moves slightly so that her lips are back on mine and deepens the kiss. I let go of one of her hands, only to put it on her back and pull her closer, as she tangles her free hand in my hair, breaking it free of its gelled prison. Kneeling in front of me, she leans down to my level as we kiss.

 I brush my hand in little circles on her back as our lips move together in perfect synchronisation, fireworks erupting in my mind as I feel her shiver against me, no space between our two bodies.

 “Ahem,” We jump apart as if we’d both been electrocuted, looking up to see who had disturbed us: Chris, who was smiling widely.

 “Chris!” I exclaim, looking at him like what are you doing?

 “Darren!” He says, copying me. “Ryan wants you, both of you, now.” Chris says, smiling at us.

 Aisha sits quietly and adorably, with a small, very cute blush in her cheeks until then.

 “What does he want us…Stop looking at me like that!!!” I look up at her in alarm, surprised by her outburst.

 “Like what?” Says Chris, faking innocence.

 Sighing but smiling Aisha says again: “What does Ryan want us for?” Taking hold of one of my hands.

 “He wants to record a song with both of you,” Chris says, still smiling like an idiot.

 “Okay,” Aisha says. After they help me into my chair, we go out of the room and I see Aisha hit Chris with her script a few times on our way out, and can’t help laughing.