Chapter Five

Doctor of the dead
We drove to some lab in Colorado, Cassandra's leg was infected so 10k was helping her walk. 10k and I haven't talked much the past few days. Only when necessary . All I've really done is catch up on sleep, even though the nightmares haven't stopped. But I rarely get them and I do every other night or so, none of them are like really scary. We made it to the lab and we all had to huddle around Murphy, like a group hug.
"I sure hope no one sees us" Doc said
"Yea me too" I shrugged
Warren put in a code and the door opened, Murphy used his telepathy to keep the zombies away.  The elevator went down and I grabbed onto the side, elevators made me nervous ever since I was little. We made it to the lab and went in. There were some dead people maybe zombies sitting around a table. A cake said happy birthday doctor kur but was cut off do to the cake being cut.
"Oh! Dibs on the last rose!" Murphy called and ate the sugar topping.
"Ew" I said
"What? The vaccine make me crave sugar" he defended
"Well when you start craving brains let me know" doc said putting a hand on Murphy's shoulder. We heard beeping and walked over to the sound, it was a phone.
"Hey it looks like this man was texting his wife.
Won't be home til late they have us under some kind of quarantine don't know if I'll get home tell the kids I love them.... Oh look a text from citizen Z! Go to file z-800//jar.177 password red death" Doc said
Murphy typed it in
"What was the password?" Murphy asked
"Red death" doc repeated and a video popped up. It was a monkey zombie thing.
"Woah this was dated to before anyone was infected...how'd they know to make a vaccine?" Warren asked
Then we heard growling.
"We have company" I said and 10k shot one of the two zombies. He missed the other
"I'm out..."10k said
"Ok kid remember in Missouri? At the piggy wiggly?" Doc asked and 10k nodded. 10k smashed the cake onto the Z's face and doc piked it. The phone rang again.
"Another text from citizen Z. He says we have to go through decontamination and you guys won't like how we have to do it." Doc told us what we had to do.
"Erm what? I asked
"Naked" doc repeated
"Alright" i sighed.
We all faced away from each other. Cassandra was leaning on 10k's shoulder and I stood on the other side of him next to Warren.
We put on the goggles.
"Ready?" Doc asked
"Yep" I said
"10k?" Doc asked
10k pushed the button and we all put on our cloths after. I secured my weapons and we walked down a hall into a dark room. There was doors with circular Windows. At this point 10k was carrying Cassandra, her leg was very infected and she didn't have much time.
I looked through one of the Windows I saw a zombie girl covered in flys.
"We should give her mercy" Warren said
"No, you want those flys to be on us?!" Doc exclaimed and Warren nodded. I walked to another window and saw a zombie with out legs. 10k was looking through another one and I joined him, a zombie popped into the window and I flinched back.
"Hey, that ones open" 10k said looking at an open door.
I heard growling
"And there they are" I said seeing the mutant zombies.Cassandra was sitting against the wall and the zombie lunged at her. I tackled the zombie before it got to her and pinned it to the floor. I took my knife and piked it. I stood up and Cassandra stared at me.
"Guys these are mutant zombies they don't like me" Murphy said looking at two other zombies. We turned to Murphy and saw him start to fight the zombies. I was protectively infront of Cassandra and 10k ran over and joined me. The zombies fell dead and headless.
"Let's go find doctor merch" Murphy said continuing down the hall.
"I can't go on much longer" Cassandra breathed out I turned to see her she looked like she was in pain.  We found a room with a stretcher and 10k laid Cassandra down.
We all said our goodbyes.
I walked in after 10k and looked at her
"Thirteen, I'm sorry" she breathed out and I rasied an eyebrow.
"I was just jealous of you and 10k, I've liked him and I'm just so sorry I shouldn't have been so mean to you. Thank you for saving me before" she said
"No problem, we'll be back for you later" I said and hugged her before heading out. Murphy was next and then we walked into a weird room with metal containers.
We saw a zombie but it wasn't a zombie it was a human. He clicked on a video and we saw who it was, the original patient zero.  The video was of what we could assume of him and dr merch, she Injected him with something and they turned the camera off. Citizen Z popped up on the screen.
"Hey guys, Thirteen" he said with a smile and 10k wrapped an arm around my waist and I felt my cheeks flush.
"It looks like dr merch and two guards are there on their way in" he continued and then through the door came in dr merch and two guards.
"Doctor merch" Murphy greeted angrily
The doctor removed the hood.
"Doctor merch didn't make it. I'm her boss doctor kurtz" he explained and we starte to talk
I glanced over at the monitor as saw Simon holding a sign that read kill the doctor
I nudged 10k and he looked at the monitor, eyes widening when he saw it. I drew my pistol and he took out his sniper. Then there was pounding at the door.
"It's only a Z" the doctor said
"Z's can't open doors" said one of the workers. Them the door burst open and in walked Cassandra
"Don't shoot, I'm not a z" she said wildly before attacking the guards.
Murphy ran out of the lab
"Murphy!" I called and a bullet flew through the air, hitting doc.
"Doc!" I yelled and he fell to the floor. The doctor was chasing Murphy
I looked at the now zombie gaurds, a wild look in my eyes. I ran at them but Cassandra pulled me back.
"Don't I got it, get out of here" she said
"We need to find Murphy" I said and 10k and Warren helped doc walk. We ran out to the elevator and it started moving up. Apparently Murphy shed his skin and took the damn van. We hopped into the doctors truck, laying doc in the back seat. I was in the trunk and 10k was in the passenger. I hopped into the trunks and we drove. We swerved into the tunnel and when the explosion hit the truck flipped. Everything went black.