Chapter 2

Years ago, Charlie, Ana, Amelia and I had skipped class. English or something, I don't even remember anymore.

There was this...forest at the back of our school. It was huge; connected three different regions together. To anyone else, it had the reputation of being the one place where you could go smoke up in peace and technically, it was that kind of place to us too. However, to us, the forest was also more than that.

It was an escape.

That day we had agreed to go and spend the rest of the day there. It was the end of the week, and it wasn't like either of us were missing anything. Amelia had tendency to skip more classes than she ever attended, but Charlie and Ana were the academics, the honor roll students. I figured, if Charlie and Ana were skipping , then so could I.

" I honestly have no idea what his problem is..." Charlie said, as he, Ana and I sat on a large rock overlooking the never-ending forest. " It's like he thinks the place is a fucking Ivy League School. " He said laughing to himself.

"Wow, look at this edgy teenager, rebelling against authority." Ana said teasingly, trying with difficulty to tie her hair into a ponytail behind her.

" Well technically he's just shit talking him behind his back." I said chuckling, looking around for Amelia, who had disappeared (God knows where) into the forest.

" Fuck you guys, I would say it to his face if it didn't mean being expelled. " Charlie said, sighing angrily. He turned to me with a smile, making sure to slug me in the shoulder as he spoke. " Hope you're enjoying yourself now man, you're going to be in my shoes in two years." He said, and I smiled with him.

" Yeah...don't know about that. " I responded, "I'd rather not spend the next 20 years paying off student loans."

"Oh come on, it's not that bad."

"Says the one born with a silver spoon in his mouth." Ana shot at Charlie.

" Hey, I work for my living okay?" said Charlie, shooting back. Ana dismissed him with a roll of her eyes and a smile on her face. I remember her looking unconvinced. I remember many days like those in perfect detail, even now. A few weeks after that day Ana would go to Charlie, and we would see less and less of her every month after that. A year later she would be dead.

"Whatever." Ana said as she finished tying up her ponytail. "You're right though." She said, turning to me. "It is hard, but most things worth doing are; so...I think you should for it." I nodded, thanking her for her support. She was always the optimistic one, which says a lot because the rest of us definitely were not.

"She's right, for once. Go make something of yourself man. I mean, let's be honest if any of us has a chance of getting out of this fucking hellhole, it's you." Charlie said to me, moving towards the rock again.

"I'm rooting for you buddy..."

* * *

The day after Charlie's death news crews and reports of all kinds flocked over the location of the banquet hall. We were ushered out quickly that night, with only a small group of men and women staying behind, most likely to insure that Charlie's death didn't go on to  expose of any of them. Sure enough, Charlie's body was found the next morning in a garbage alley, along with the body of the man that had shot him. They identified his name, even his connections to other "organizations". The police however, kept the issue as quiet as they could, which was utterly futile. Charlie was a well known and influential member among his private circle, and a well liked individual in our little community.

The news spread like a wildfire, and within hours the issue was the main story of every news channel in the city, and even gained some attention across the province. The effect was even more noticeable at school the next day. Three police cars were parked outside the main entrance of the school and they stayed for the entire day, even during the night when I arrived. The investigation would go on for a few days, but I never became accustomed to the sight of those cars parked outside. I honestly considered turning back and skipping class the first day they arrived.