Thirty One // The Normal Possibility of the Impossible Becoming Probable

Kaia

Normal is an interesting concept, one I often applied to Jacob. Not that he, as a person, was normal, but he had days where he acted normal and days where he didn't.

Lately, it had been more of the latter, where he had been acting far from his usual teasing grinning happy self. He would go to say something but catch himself, resulting in a frown spreading across his face like ivy. He would avoid me like he was a shy kid who needed to warm up to me before he was comfortable enough to talk. It was like he didn't know what to say or how to say it or when he could or if he could. It was strange. Out of the ordinary. Unusual.

It all ended on Wednesday; it had been a week since then and a week since I had resumed applying the concept of normal to Jacob Beck. He had come back from whatever Fairy Land he had been residing on, and it couldn't have been any better.

Except for the planning. The party. Jacob's birthday.

It seemed the only topic of conversation inside school, my only escape with Parker or Atlas at home.

Or Nanna.

She called in on Sunday morning wearing the yoga pants I couldn't imagine her in with the "suggestion" to attend yoga with her. I wanted to, but I had stayed up late seeing how everything turned out with Jacob that 6am felt a little to early to be alive.

Regardless, we were out the door by six thirty and on the beach for her Sunday session before seven. The class was predominantly people around her age, the odd thirty year olds who were insane enough to be up at that hour peppered among the group.

I was the youngest by far, and therefore should have been at least be somewhat skilled. It wasn't so much the flexibility that got me but the balance. God, the balance. It was near impossible to stay in the poses without toppling over or falling out of line.

Nanna couldn't stop laughing.

Then we had gone to get a coffee and scheduled to catch up at least once a week. I was determined to assist the change that had already set in motion, fighting for a better relationship with the only grown up family I knew.

Tonight though, it was Parker's turn to provide a conversation outside of Jacob's birthday party, which had the entire year level buzzing to make it to the weekend. Yes, they had invited the entire year level, and it was going to be spectacularly miserable.

With that in her mind, she had asked what I got for Jacob for his birthday.

It was then that I knew I was screwed.

Shopping for boys had and always will be impossible; the older they get the harder. I never had any luck with Atlas but could think of something creative or something he might need, but when I thought the words Jacob and present my mind went blank, like a chalkboard had just been wiped clean.

I let out a long groan, my head hitting the back of the passenger seat in exasperation. My sister laughed at me. I would have hit or at least pushed her if she weren't driving a vehicle and I wasn't so accident cautious.

"Help me," I pleaded with her, but she was too far down the road of hysterical laughter to do anything but drive us to Queen Street Mall.

Shadowed by tall buildings on either side, the mall stretched on for at least a mile with shops in aforementioned tall buildings. Parker parked a block away and we walked, reluctant to step into the shade from the sun, disappearing as the season drew nearer to winter.