Sang looks up when she realises that it is her turn. "Miss Sang – and I survived a year in the Slave Mines and took out over thirty guards while I was there."

There was absolute silence before Brullo scoffs and shoots her a glare, pointing his sword at her. "I told you to tell no lies. Now the truth girl." Sang was momentarily frozen before she meet his gaze and smirks.

"Just checking. I'm a jewel thief. Can't get enough of the little suckers." She hears a snort that was quickly covered up by a cough behind her.

Brullo stares at her for a moment before nodding and putting away the sword.

"Very well," Brullo said clasping his hands behind his back. "Your first test is on Sunday, on the seventh day; consider us merciful it's not sooner. Then we're on a mandatory run to see how fit you are. Those of you who can't run the distance go home, or back to whatever prisons your sponsors found you rotting in. You all have five minutes to put any weapons away and catch your breath."

With that, everyone dispersed, the Champions muttering to their trainers about whatever opponent they deemed the biggest threat. Katherine and Elizabeth, most likely. Certainty not a jewel thief. Owen stepped up beside her, watching the Champions stride off. She hasn't spent over five years training with the Academy and a year labouring in the Slave Mines to be disregarded like this. "If I have to call myself a jewel thief again-"

"Owen raised his brows. "You'll do what, exactly?"

"Do you know how insulting it is to pretend to be some nobody thief?"
He stared her down, silent for a moment. "Out of all things to learn about you Sang Sorenson, being arrogant wasn't one of them." Sang recoiled, but he continued before she could speak. "Your lucky we haven't practiced in front of anyone yet. I know you are good, and thankfully no one else knows that yet. Do you know why Sang?" He takes a step closer lowering his voice. "Because you're some pretty little girl. Because you're a nobody jewel thief. Look around." He half turns to the other Champions. "Is anybody glowering at you? Are any of them sizing you up? No. Because you're not real competition. Because you don't stand between them and whatever freedom or wealth they're looking for."

"Exactly! It's insulting!"

"It is not insulting. It's smart, that's what it is." The captain emphasis it with a tap to her head. "You are going to keep a low profile throughout this entire competition. You are NOT going to excel, and you are not going to rout those thieves, soldiers or whatever occupation they may hold.  You are going to stay solidly in the middle, where no one will look you way, because they should focus their attention on getting rid of bigger, stronger, faster Champions Like Katherine." With every you, the Captain taped at her head, she was seriously going to break his finger soon.

"But your going to last longer than them," Owen continued. "And when they awaken on the cockcrow of the final duel and find that you are their challenger, and that you have beaten them, the look on their faces will make all of the affronts and deprivation of attention worthwhile." He extended his hand to lead her outside. '"So, what do you say about that Sang Sorenson?"

"I can perfectly well, look out for myself Captain," she said lightly, taking his hand. "But," she smiles evilly up at him. "I have to say that you're rather brilliant, Captain. Actually, so brilliant, that I may even give you one of the jewels I plan to steal from the other thieves tonight."

Owen chuckled, and they strode outside to where the running contest awaited.

~~

If Sang thought that the running she had down the previous weeks would help her out today, she was surly mistaken. Her lungs were on fire and her legs felt like dead weights, but she kept on running, kept her position in the middle of the pack, just as the Captain had instructed.

Brullo, Owen and the other trainers – along with two dozen guards – followed them through the forest on horseback. Some of the Champions, Elizabeth and Christina, had been given long shackles. She supposed it was a privilege that Owen hasn't locked her up too; but then again, she is just a jewel thief.

Looking past the damp and gleaming dark hair of the thief in front of her, she was surprised to see Katherine leading the pack, and was nearly ten yards in front of the rest. The sound of crunching leaves and laboured breathing was all that filled the warm humid air. One step after another, one breath in, one breath out. Breathe – she had to remember to keep breathing.

She hadn't even dared to look behind her to see if any had fallen. She could feel Owen's eyes on her though, reminding her to keep in the middle. Stay in the middle. It became a mantra in her head. Breath, stay in the middle, breath.

Ahead sang watched as Katherine turned a corner, heading north – back towards the castle. Like a flock of birds, they followed her, one step after another not slowing down. Sang had over the last hour of the run had time to think about the Captains words. Sang didn't mind that Katherine was in the lead, let them all watch her. Let them plot against her. Sang didn't need to win the race to prove she was better. She was better without any validation that the king could give her.

She missed a breath and her knees wobbled, but she kept upright. It will be over soon. Soon.

She hadn't even dared to look behind her to see if any had fallen. She could feel Owen's eyes on her though, reminding her to keep in the middle. Stay in the middle.

Katherine cleared the trees first and raised her arms above her head in victory. She ran a few more feet, slowing her pace to cool down, and her trainer cheered for her. Sang's only response was to keep her feet moving. Only a few yards left. The light of the open field grew brighter and sunnier at it's approached. Stars flashed before her eyes, swarming her vision. She had to stay in the middle. Years of training with the Academy and out, had taught her the dangers of giving up too easily.

Then she was through the trees, and the open field surrounded her in a burst of space and grass and blue sky. The women in front of her slowed to a stop. It was all she could do to keep from sinking to her knees, but she made her legs slow, slow, slow, made her feet walk, made herself take breath after breath as the stars continued bursting before her eyes.

"Good," Brullo said, reining his horse and surveying whoever first returned. "Get water. We've got more training after this."

Through the spots in her vision, she saw Owen stop his horse. Her feet moved on their own accord toward him, then past to the woods. "Where are you going?"

"I dropped my ring back there," she lied, doing her best to look scatterbrained. "Just give me a moment to find it." Without waiting for his approval, she entered the trees to the sneers and snickers of the Champions who overheard. From the approaching crashing noises, she knew another Champion was on her way out. She stepped into the cover of the bushes, stumbling as the world became dark and light and tilted. She had barely sunk to her knees when she vomited.

She heaved and heaved until she had nothing left inside. The straggling Champions passed by. On trembling links, she grappled onto a nearby tree and hauled herself upright again. She found the Captain standing across the path, watching her with pursed lips.

She wipes her mouth on the back of her wrist and said nothing to him as she exited the woods.