Chapter 70

For the past several days I could tell Niall was becoming more and more depressed, and I knew why. The days were ticking away to his last performance for the foreseeable future. It wasn't just him though, both myself and the boys could sense it.

It was after we had laid the boys for bed and Niall was laying out on the couch. A beer sat on the coffee table, forgot shortly after being open. When I stood by his head he knew to pick it up so I could sit. Once I was comfortable, he placed his head down in my lap but turning to continue to stare at the TV. I started to run my fingers through his hair, scratching his scalp causing him to hum in satisfaction.

"You know tomorrow this isn't your last performance ever," I explained.

"Yeah I know."

I waited for him to elaborate but he didn't. "Niall?" He sighed. "Niall James."

"What?"

"Talk to me. I know this is bothering you so will you please just talk. I'm your wife, it's my job to listen to you."

He turned his head to look up at me. "Okay so yes I am sad that it's ending."

"But it's not forever," I encouraged.

"I know, it's just this has been the only thing I've known since I was sixteen. I don't know what I'm supposed to do." He turned his head away from me but not before I could see the tears pooling in his eyes.

"Honey I know this is going to be different for you but this is why you have me and the boys. We're going to make sure you are so busy you won't have time to miss it."

He cracked a smile. "I know that's why I'm doing this. I love when I come home and Riley yells 'daddy's home' and runs and hugs my legs. And I don't want to miss the kids or have them miss me, and I don't want to miss any more of them growing up. I want to be home every night to tuck them in and scare the monsters away. And you have had to raise these kids by yourself for too long so it's my turn to help. So I'm ready for a break but it's just going to be different."

"I know Niall. I can't wait to have you home too."

"Are you coming to the show?" He asked.

"Of course, I wouldn't miss this for the world. The boys and I will be cheering you on from the crowd."

"Thank you, I appreciate it."

We both settled back into watching television. I continued to rub my fingers through his hair. His eyes slowly began to grow heavier. That was until there were cries echoing from upstairs. "I'm on it." He jumped off the couch and ran upstairs before I even had the chance to stand.

I decided it was time we both just went to bed so I clicked off the TV, turned the lights off, and made sure the doors were locked. Once all of that was finished, I walked upstairs. Niall could be heard singing from Finley's room so I followed the sound. He was sitting in the rocking chair with Finley in his arms. He smiled when he saw me approach. "See this is what I mean, I don't want to miss this anymore," he whispered. "I love just being dad."

"I'm glad you're happy with your decision." I watched a while longer as he continued to rock and sing. "Is he out?"

He stopped rocking and looked down at the little boy in his arms. "Yeah."

"Well lay him down because I would like to cuddle with my husband as I fall asleep."

"Okay, I'm coming." After laying Finley down, Niall followed me into our bedroom.

Once we changed into our pajamas, we climbed under the covers and got comfy. Niall wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into his chest. "What are you going to do when you have me in bed with you every night? I mean more than just for a couple of weeks before I leave again."