I am NOT your Alpha

I’m not your alpha.

Meet Cassidy:

Full Name: Cassidy Baker

Home Territory: None

Status: Rogue

Likes:  Food, Raccoons, Singing off-key, Xbox 360, Food

Dislikes: Giraffes, Vegetables, Fish, Losing, Know-it-alls, Males, being told what to do.

                The shift is one of the best parts of being a werewolf, only second to the freedom being a wolf can provide. It’s a moment of pure unadulterated ecstasy, bliss. Chills run down your spine as the tingling begins at the tips of your fingers and toes until it consumes you. Pop, release, pop, release, Muscles pull and bones crack and it’s only painful for a split second before a rushing feeling of liberation, over and over again. It’s all the more exciting when the sounds of flesh stretching and tearing away reach now sensitive popping ears. Painful? Yes, but a good kind of pain- like scratching an itch that’s been bothering you for days. And then finally, the heat surges over - spreading outwardly from the belly as the body adjusts to its new form – taking the high temperature that of an animal. Bone chilling, spine tingling bliss.

                Oh how I relish in it, the gift of the wolf form. Unlike others who resent it and view it as a curse, to me, it’s the window to a new world. Brighter colors collide with scents muted to the human nose, the humming of bee’s can be heard from far away, everything is much more- sensitive and fragile, yet alive. It’s freedom. In wolf form, I can take second seat to my animalistic nature, and become the world- not someone who treads on it. The change and the animal are both sacred to me, and no one will take them from me, not even if it kills me.

                I sifted through the moist soil with my paws, feeling it cool the padding and the fur between my toes before closing my eyes sniffing the air. All was fresh and crisp, and the scent of the fir trees and the nearby river filled my senses, along with the slightest scent of doe. There was a herd up ahead, close to where the river pools. I could feel my muscles tense in excitement, a hunt. Propelling my legs forward I ran along the trees parallel to where I knew the herd would be, when their scent was strong enough I crept forward as silently as possible. They were in a clearing just across from me on the other side of the river, grazing. I didn’t care for which deer I caught, just for the excitement of the hunt. Backing away a short distance, I took position for a running start. Yes, my intentions were to jump the river and take down whichever creature was too slow to escape me.

                My inner wolf was just excited as I was. We were one, she and I, forever in harmony. Unlike most were’s who found themselves fighting their wolves for control, my wolf and I were linked, I gave in to her and she, me. We’ve never lead each other wrong. So, when she was ready to jump the river, I knew we could make it, and I knew it was time. I dug my hind leg paws into the soil and pushed off, soaring through the air. My landing was anticipated though, as a low pitched and angry howl filled the air. My prey had fled the second I jumped, but I had no time to pursue, the howl was for me. I was being called home, more than likely for punishment. I took a running jump back to the other side, and ran home, pushing my limits as usual, before shifting back into my human form at the forests end.

                “You deliberately disobeyed me!” My uncle Rodney yelled. Uncle Rodney is a big guy, at about 6’4’’ he pretty much towers over everyone in the pack. He’s got this dark looming presence that tells nearly everyone to stand down, everyone except me. For some reason, I’m immune to his alpha command, and the older I get, the less I care about pleasing him. He’s a great guy, don’t get me wrong, he would give up his life for this pack, but he demands respect- the one thing I can’t give him.

                It’s sadistic of me I know, but seeing him shaking with rage, attempting to control his wolf and stop his eyes from changing to red, it pleases me. I love my uncle, but for some reason, the animal within me refuses to submit, to him, or to anyone.

                “Sorry Uncle Rod!” I said, giving him a sincere frown. “I can’t follow your rules, I had to go hunting.”

                “I told you to stay inside! You’re supposed to be grounded!” He took a step towards me, and I could see it, the shift attempting to take place. But he wouldn’t let it. He was much too reserved, too strict, limited by his own ruling; rules that somehow didn’t apply to me.  “Go home, now. Do not leave that house until I tell you that your punishment is over.”

                I rolled my eyes and smirked, feeling my wolf growl in impatience at his attempt to control me with his alpha command. “Yes Sir!” I mocked, saluting him with two fingers before stomping away from him, soldier style. I could hear him let out a small chuckle. He just couldn’t stay mad at me.

                Home is where I would go, but not because he commanded it. My stomach growled. Rodney had stopped me from my first meal all day, and home was the only place that would allow me free reign over the refrigerator. Our small down was a werewolf only community, settled just outside of a forest that extends for miles. It was always bright here, bright yet quiet. The two story houses and shops lined the streets, and it was peaceful- and human like. I found that annoying, our Alpha, my uncle, wanted us to hide that part of us, at least until the late of the night. There were so many rules, and regulations here, I can’t help but feel like a beast in a box.

                My house was in the center of our town, it was where the power families lived. My uncle, his heirs and mate, my father, the beta, my mother, brother, and I, and the omega- who, though he was considered to be the lowest in ranking of all pack members, he held a huge position in the pack as friend, comforter, and healer. My entry was unexpected, and as I slammed the door shut behind me, I could see my brother jump in shock.

                “Howdy Partna’?” I called out to him, not bothering to stop for pleasantries. My stomach was on a mission, and I would not stop until it was sated. My brother called out a muffled response that sounded like it was a mix between a “what’s up?” and a “why do you keep slamming doors?”, but I didn’t bother asking to see which it was.

                Mom stood at the kitchen counter, stirring a pot of spaghetti noodles and talking on the phone. “Yes Rodney, I know. I’ll speak to her Rodney, but you know she doesn’t listen to anyone here. Okay, alright, bye.” When she hung up, she looked at me and sighed. I was holding a large plate out to her, practically begging with my eyes for her to feed me. As she put the food onto the saucer, she took her time to lecture me. “Cassidy, I know you don’t feel the Alpha command, but if you could at least respect your uncle? Don’t make a fool of him in front of his pack, respect him, he’s an adult.”

                She handed me my plate, and I took it back, rushing over to the table to eat. “I’m sorry mom, I just, can’t fight her, and I don’t want to. She has never led me wrong.” I moaned in delight, mom’s spaghetti was the best! “I always end up feeling refreshed and at peace with myself. I know I should listen to Uncle Ro-“

                “That’s Alpha Rodney to you, young lady.” Mother cut me off.

                I mocked her, making quote signs with my hands. “ ‘ Alpha Rodney’ then. I know I should listen to ‘Alpha Rodney’ but, it offends my wolf sometimes. When he bosses me around, I mean. She doesn’t like it.”

                My mom sighed and turned off the stove, then came to sit across from me. “I know, but you know pack law. For the sake of the pack, if you could please, just lighten up on your uncle?”

                I nodded my head, knowing that was the response she wanted, and continued eating my food. I would respect Uncle -, I mean, Alpha Rodney, as best I could, for my mother’s sake.