''You don't get it, do you?'' His anger took me by surprise. He took my shoulders and shook me, anger radiating from his body. ''By losing that fight, I lost everything. Everything I cared for, except of you. But that isn't much of a consolation when I don't even have a house to live in with you.''

''What are you talking about?'' I had an idea, but I hoped I was wrong.

''He had his eyes on the gym and the club for years. I told him it wasn't for sale so he challenged me to a fight over the ownership. When I refused, he sent his men to my house. They failed to demolish it, as the orders were, and we made it out alive. So he knew I'd do anything to save my gym.''

''Please don't tell me you-''

''I accepted the challenge,'' he cut me off. ''I was defeated before the fight started, but I knew he'd go after you if I hadn't done that.''

''Caden,'' I whispered in disbelief. His pained expression held so much love that it took all of my will not to cry. ''I... I don't know what to say.''

''Then don't say anything. This will stay between us for now. I'll get a job and we'll be back on feet within time, I promise you that.''

I leaned my head on his muscled chest, breathing in his scent. I smiled, knowing I'd never get tired of being in his arms. He inhaled sharply and his hand came up, moving in a soothing circle between my shoulder blades.

His fingers combed my hair and, feeling a strange surge of courage, I stretched up and pressed my lips to his. A tremor coursed through my body as the kiss deepened.

I heard voices in the background, wishing I could press mute and stop it from ruining the moment. Caden's arms tightened around me, fierce passion emanating and wrapping itself around me as a shield. A shield from the future.

I lost the sense of need to breathe. Even though I never really believed in love and had a distinct attitude towards it, I had a feeling Caden might have the power to change that.

I pulled away with a smile, trailing my fingers down his neck. Shades of opal melted in the color of his eyes, staring at me longingly.

''We should go,'' I stated, having finally collected myself. The daze we were in was suddenly broken. I became aware of the moving world around us, saddened by how one beautiful moment was short and all the bad things seemed like an eternity.

''This isn't finished, you know.'' He teased, speaking in a low sexy tone. ''But you're right, it can wait.''

''I certainly hope so. Now, where's Grace? James didn't tell me anything.''

''Aiden sent me a message, saying he's got a lead and is going to an abandoned factory just outside the town.''

''He's going alone?'' I scowled. ''Of course not, he's got backup. He'll be fine, after all he's probably a better fighter than Alex and me.''

''Still, he shouldn't have taken off without us.''

Caden looked troubled. ''He doesn't want us to follow him, but I can't sit here and wait. Don't blame James, I ordered him to keep quiet because I knew you'd get into trouble.''

''Thanks for the vote of confidence,'' I replied dryly. ''What are we waiting for, let's go.'' I turned around on heel, but he grabbed my forearm before I could step forward.

''Not so fast. Promise me you'll be careful out there tonight.''

If I didn't know him well, I'd say he looked distressed. The walls he had been building around him for years have crumbled down, and I wasn't as thrilled as I thought I'd be. His pretending to be tough and invincible led me to the point where I almost fell for it, and I hoped I could someday prove him wrong in a harmless way.