Chapter 3: Unidentified Failing Object

"Aaaah!" Kazuro shouted as Caroline charged at him head-on with her spear thrusting in all directions, "Caroline, cut it it is just a practice exercise! I don't think she is listening, somebody help!"

"You sure are pathetic," the world seemed to stop and Kazuro's vision suddenly turned into a black and white kaleidoscope, the voice seemed to echo in his brain so much that he he could hear his own heartbeat in a world frozen in time.

"What was that!?" he Kazuro struggled to speak but his words only came out as thoughts instead. He tried to breathe but nothing came out, he tried to move but he didn't even flinch. Was this the end, is he seeing an alternate reality right before his death, by the hand of a crazy newcomer?

"Hey kid, we didn't spend fifty years of dormancy just to be wielded by an imbecile," the dark voice from before said.

"Umm... hate to burst your bubble Rein but our first wielder was in fact an imbecile," another voice spoke, just like the first one except it is more cheerful and light.

"Who are you?" Kazuro's thought came out instantly as a voice but his lips laid still.

"I guess the old man didn't do much introduction," the dark voice, as the other voice called him Rein, spoke, "The name is Rein, and my friend here is Altari, and we are here to steal your soul if you do not fight properly,"

"I don't believe you," Kazuro said, or rather thought, bluntly.

"Rein," the light voice, or Altari as Kazuro came to know him, said, "if you don't fight properly,"

There was a dramatic pause between them as a chill went up Kazuro's spine as his heart started to beat faster.

"You will find yourself missing your hidden batch of chocolate chip cookies!"

A surge of priority sparked in Kazuro as the black and white kaleidoscopic world started to fade and time began to speed up. Just as an instant before the blade of Caroline's su yari connected to his face, a pistol appeared and grabbed the blade. Kazuro, with his pistol axe stance, spun around making Caroline loose her balance as Yousai was swept into the air. Kazuro then jumped up and did a drop kick which Caroline blocked by sinking the blade into the soil and gripping the long metal handle with all her strength. The blow landed on Yousai and a large shockwave scattered the leaves surrounding them and the soil in which Yousai was sunk into.

What just happened? He was totally different a few seconds ago, Caroline was lost in thought when a Dual slash hit her in the face then in the gut. She could feel that her feet has left the ground just before a swift back kick slammed her into the bark of a tree. "BAAAAAM" the tree shook and leaves fell onto the ground softly. Caroline managed to straighten up from the blast. "He just hit me didn't he Yousai?" Kazuro felt somehow uneasy as Caroline was regaining her posture.

"Yes he did madame Caroline," Yousai answered. Caroline exhaled deeply before giving a smile and straightening some of the loose hair that hung down from her forehead down to her chin.

Why do I have a bad feeling about this? Kazuro thought. Caroline then shot him a glare with her smile still intact, yup, I definitely have a bad feeling about this.

"Kazuro, do you know why my family is called Hakuro of the Impenetrable Fortress?" as she asked a dark aura surrounded her, Kazuro gulped and shook his head, "that's because we have the best defense in the world... and a dark secret," the aura erupted as gust of winds blasted around their entire area. Caroline prepared her stance, "Yousai, MATERIALIZE CALIBER 9.2!" Yousai began to glow and changed form, his su yari blade remained, but his handle became longer, and a cross section appeared under his blade resembling a bats wing, huge shields and large dark brick walls appeared floating around her.