Fifteen

Everything is Gray

"Sam. Sam, can you hear me?" A voice echoed into Sam's head. Sam was in a dark room. He walked around for what seemed like ever, he heard a voice call his name and he began following it but no matter how far he walked, the voice wasn't getting louder or quieter.

"Who are you? Where are you?" Sam's voiced echoed through the endless darkness.

"My name is Gabriel."

Then after that, everything was white. Sam woke up and looked around. He sat up on his uncomfortable hospital bed and saw gray. Gray flowers, gray hair, gray people. Different shades of gray filled the room. He looked to his left and saw his gray brother and gray parents asleep. He panicked and got up.

He remembered what happened before he blacked out. He and Dean were driving while singing along to whatever was on the radio. Then he looked out his window and saw a truck that was inches away from his face. Then that was it.

"Dean?" Sam went over to his brother's bed and shook his arm. "Dean, wake up." He whispered quietly. He had to ask his brother this.

Dean rolled over and rubbed his eyes. "Morning, sweetheart." Dean yawned and saw chocolate locks and mint green eyes. He noticed that Sam was looking healthy and cured. Sam had an annoyed look at his face, causing Dean to chuckle.

"Hey, um Dean. Remember that accident you had almost four and a half years ago? On Fourth of July?" Sam felt hesitant about asking his next question but he has this thing inside him that just wants the answer so bad.

"Of course I do, it was the day I saved my little brother, when I actually protected you right." Dean gave a small smile but then remembers the harsh parts of the tragedy. Not being able to see colors was torture to him. He didn't want Sam to suffer the same way.

"Well, while you were out did you dream about anything?" Sam didn't even know why he was asking. It was like the words are coming out on their own. Dean looked confused. But then he nodded and asked why. Sam fidgeted but then quickly asked what he dreamt about.

"I was alone in a dark an-and cold room. Then suddenly I wasn't alone anymore. Someone else was in the room. It was a boy and he had dark hair and blue eyes. They were an amazing kind of blue. Then he touched my arm and then I see a white light and suddenly I'm in a hospital room." Dean explained to his brother.

"Did you notice anything, like..... missing?" Dean looked at his brother confused.

"What do you mean by 'missing?'"

"Like, some... colors that aren't there anymore."

Dean wanted to know why he was asking. Does he know that he can't see colors? Does he know what's causing it? Is the same thing happening to him?

"Yeah, when I woke up, I watched all the colors getting drained. I saw gray and it's been like that for a long time."

"Did you ever get used to it?"

He looked at his brother and gave him a smile. "Never."