At First Sight: Chapter Two

I slammed the man's head into the brick wall I had him pinned to.

"Tell me where the Mara is!" I snarled in his face, my razor sharp canines inches from the tip of his nose.

The man's face contorted in utter fear, but he still did not yield the information I was seeking.

"I do not know what you are talking about." He said, but his voice betrayed him with a slight wobble. He was lying.

I scoffed as I grabbed the man by his Priest collar before I pulled him off the wall by said collar and slammed him back into it with my supernatural wolf strength. I leaned so close to his face that I could see the sweat beading on his brow.

"Listen here, and listen closely. I know you and the pathetic church are protecting the location of the Mara. Give the child to me, and I might think twice about snapping the neck of that pathetic wh*re you call a wife." I said without a hint of remorse.

The man's eyes snapped to mine. He was looking for that hint of nonexistent remorse, a slight chance that I would not, could not, be so brutal. He saw none. I would never dare to be so weak.

He hesitated slightly before he shook his head.

A cold chuckle came from my throat. He would have to learn the hard way that whatever I said, I always meant. I would do anything, even murder, to finish my plans through and through.

"You think I won't do it, but you'll be taking me seriously when you're staring into the dead eyes of your wife's mutilated corpse." I said. The man's eyes widened before he gulped.

His eyes landed on mine with a dull, bland look. It was the look of a man who knew he had been bested. It showed his utter hopelessness. He had ceased his constant struggling against me, and was limp in my hold. I had backed him right into a corner. Right where I wanted him.

"Now," I said, my voice cold and distant, almost as if I was disinterested in our conversation. "Where is the Mara?" My question was simple and straight to the point, and I could only hope his answer was as well. It would make my job run smoother, and the destruction of the world come quicker.

The man choked on his breath, as if he couldn't believe that he was actually about to give prized information to the enemy. "She-" he swallowed hard. "She lives in a small town in Maryland. Her address is 165 Lakeway Avenue Blackwood, Maryland. She lives there with her mother and father." He paused, uncertain on how to continue. "Are you going to let me go now?"

I grinned maliciously. "Now where would you get an idea like that?" I said as my claws elongated into sharp, wickedly curved spears.

"But-" He began to protest. He would never have a chance to finish his sentence.

Because in the next second, I quickly slashed out. Blood welled up in the path that my claws had taken. Rich, deliciously dark blood poured from his jugular and down his shirt, cutting off whatever he had planned to say. I had effectively silenced him. Forever.

I dropped his cooling corpse to the ground.

"I would like to stay and chat, but I have a Mara to catch." I tipped my imaginary hat to his corpse as I made my way out of the church.

Once outside, I lit a small insignificant match. It could barely do any harm by itself, maybe slightly burn a finger or two. But add it to a huge fuel pile, and it would light up your world.

I dropped that single match in the doorway of the church. It would do its intended work from there.

I strutted away as the flames took hold, and burned away any hope the world had left.

I didn't look back. I didn't care. I had the Mara to find.