Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Keegan was dreaming. She was in a field of wildflowers. It was the most beautiful thing she’d ever laid eyes on, and it seemed to stretch on forever. As far as she could see, the bold colors of the flowers waved beneath a bright, sunny sky. She was running and laughing withl the wind on her face. Stopping, she twirled around and around until everything became blurry. She heard a loud roar, and she fell to the ground, startled.

Keegan frantically looked around. She felt frightened. When the spinning in her vision stopped, she saw a massive tiger in the distance slowly stalking towards her. She was too afraid to run, and stayed frozen in place. The tiger approached and walked around her in a circle; coming to a rest, he laid down and stretched out. She reached for him, petting the beautiful animal.

***

Rourk was in the heat of battle, but he felt as if he was not all the way there. He knew that was an excellent way to get himself killed. He needed to focus and be in the moment, but it was hard not to let his mind wander to Keegan.

He was scared. Hell, he was terrified. He could not sense her. What did that mean? Had their connection been broken by the black magic? He focused and screamed within himself, channeling the energy into a swipe of his sword as he took off the head of his opponent. He knew there was nothing he could do; he had to wait for her to wake up tomorrow.

For now, Rourk could take out his frustration on the enemy. He felt the calmness surge through his body, and once again he was fighting as if he was floating on air. The moves were so natural he felt as one with his blade. Countless would die by his hand before the day was over.

Night descended upon them and relief could be felt throughout the camp. The soldiers shoved food down their throats and exchanged war stories. They were still energized by the fight for their existence. The weariness had not settled in yet. Richard knew if this kept up much longer that was exactly what would happen.

Richard heard his son approach and turned to greet him. Where earlier the boy had been tired and drawn, with dark circles under his eyes, he was now standing tall.

“Father, I’ve had a vision. I need to be brought to the leader of the dark.”

Richard physically took a step back. “Have you lost your mind, son? I cannot allow you to go over to the side of the dark.”

Thaddeus spoke with firmness, not as a son to his father, but as a gifted seer to the leader of the light. “This is not a request, either you take me or I will go by myself.”

Richard could think of nothing that could change his son’s mind. He resigned himself to the idea. “Let me grab something to eat and we will go.”

Thaddeus eyed his father, “We will go now.”

Nodding, Richard grabbed his gear and they headed out. He hoped his son knew what he was doing. Just the thought of coming face to face with his nemesis, Creed, made his blood boil. It was going to take all of his willpower to follow the rules of war.

It took them over an hour by foot to reach the camp of the dark elves. They had chosen a spot set deep in a small valley between hills where their own sea of illuminated tents lit the valley. It was set up essentially like their own. He could see no real differences, but he could feel it.

Entering the area felt like they’d stepped into an air conditioned room. They were greeted by a guard in full gear, his sword tip pointing at Richard’s face. Richard glared at him, “We are here to see your leader, Creed. Tell him my son has had a vision and needs to see him at once.”