Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Richard could see his men were tired. He had yet to tell them that the great battle was upon them. Of course, they all expected as much since they had increased the training schedule so drastically. They knew they were going to Ireland for a training mission and nothing more. He would inform them of the truth before they flew out. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust his men. It was the issue of their relatives with the gift. Many had the ability to read minds.

They had been training night and day and everyone missed their families. Richard knew a break was needed.

Richard looked at his watch and saw it was almost lunch time. He called Rourk over. “Pass the word that there will be a meeting in front of the mess hall in thirty minutes.” It would cause a lot of grumbling from the men. They all hated last minute meetings, and to cut into their lunch time made it even worse.

Richard stood in his usual place and waited for them all to gather around. “I want you all to know that I appreciate the hard work you have put in. I know you miss your families. I miss mine, as well. Tomorrow I would like you all to bring your family members here for a cookout. Everything will be supplied; you just have to show up.” He looked around and was relieved to see smiles on the faces of many of his men.

“After that, I don’t want to see any of you for the following three days. As for today, you are all done for the day, go home and relax.” With a few honest words, the spirit had gone from weary and fatigued to an overwhelming sense of excitement.

Emerald was surprised to see her husband walk through the door so early.

“I noticed the men looked depleted so I sent them home. We’re also going to have a cookout at the camp tomorrow. I told them to bring their families, and I’ve given them three days off after that.” He had a look of mischief in his eyes. “So you know what that means?”

A look of annoyance crossed her face. “That Keegan and Rourk are going to be at the same place at the same time?”

Richard could kick himself. How had he not thought of that?

“Richard, I’m too tired to fight. It is done; we will let it take its course. I’m glad you have some time off. I’ve missed you.”

His eyes widened. He hadn’t expected to get off the hook that quickly. “I was thinking we should take the kids to your mother’s and go away for the weekend. It has been too long since we have been alone.”

Smiling, she said, “That sounds like a wonderful idea. Let’s not go too far, though. How does a cabin in the woods sound?”

“Perfect.”