Chapter 9

Chapter 9

The next day, their father walked in while Thaddeus was training Keegan.

In the middle of their sprints, Richard's voice boomed, "Vanish, Keegan."

She hesitated, which of course was a mistake. She hated to disappoint him.

He called them over and told Thaddeus he needed to work on her reaction skills. "She needs to be able to use her gift without hesitation no matter what her surroundings," he said.

Keegan hated when they talked about her like she wasn't there.

Richard turned to her. "Keegan, you have a skill that any soldier would kill for, but it does you no good if you're not able to use it when needed. If a knife is coming down on you, a bullet is fired, or someone is strangling you, you should be gone. Of course, it's only to be used in a life or death situation, and until then you fight. We cannot give away our secret. If you went invisible in front of a human, it might draw some attention. However, if your life is at stake, you never hesitate."

She was about to say something about those scenarios being ridiculous, but the seriousness of her father's expression stopped her. Instead, she just nodded.

Thaddeus drilled her for hours after her dad left, and she didn't feel as if she'd improved at all. Keegan had only used her gift for fun before, and it had always been at a leisurely pace. She wasn't sure she was going to be able to do what her father wanted.

***

Rourk sat in his room staring at the wall. His mind raced. How had the boy even been assigned to him? If Richard really was Keegan's father, he'd want to keep them separated. The only logical explanation was they wanted him to know, maybe having faith in him that he could change the future. This made him sure there had to be some threat to Keegan that would lead to her death and that they were trying to intervene in the natural course of destiny. This was not something that was done lightly. It had to be happening soon because it was to be before they were to meet. Could it be something to do with the great battle? Why else would they intervene?

Rourk didn't want to overstep his boundaries, but he had to talk to Richard. He gathered his keys and cell phone, threw on his shoes, and left.

Once he reached the camp, he went directly into Richard's office.

When Richard saw Rourk, he broke into his easy smile. "I've been waiting for you," he said.

Rourk was always surprised how this man could put people at ease. It was one of the traits that made him an exceptional leader and the reason why men were so devoted to him.

"I wasn't sure if I should come talk to you or not. However, after going over it repeatedly, I had to. There is a flaw in this plan."

"There is a flaw in every plan, but we must make do with what we have." Richard gave Rourk a placid smile and crossed his hands over the desk to lean forward.

Rourk paused and considered his words. "Can I war game this out with you?"

Richard sighed, "Very well, I will hear you out."

War gaming was when they thought through the outcome of a mission beforehand. It was a way to make sure they were aware of different possibilities and variables that could affect the outcome.

"I don't think this will work without Keegan being aware of the plan. How can we be certain that she will even think of me if she is in danger?"

This brought a loud laugh from Richard. "Son, you have a lot to learn about women. There are many flaws to our plan, but that is not one of them."

His reaction surprised Rourk. "How can you be so certain?"

Richard smiled. "As warriors, we do not fear death. We couldn't possibly do our job if we did. That's what makes us different from the others. All we wish in death is to die bravely. However, on every occasion that I have come close to death I have always thought of my wife. So you can imagine a sixteen-year-old would think of the one she has yet to meet."

Rourk stared at the man, trying to hide his astonishment. "I am to meet her before she turns seventeen?"

Richard put his hand on Rourk's shoulder. "This is why you're good enough for my daughter, and the reason why I am relieving you of your training duties. Now your job is to protect Keegan."