Chapter 3 Shrinks and Ben and Jerry's ice cream

Previously, on Never Assume:

“At least he’s not an SSG, so I know he’s sincere.” She explains, then finally, she notices me. “What the F**k? What is an SSG doing on our table?” she almost screeches. The surrounding tables stop and stare. Most of the on this table , however just roll their eyes and carry on eating.

“What’s an SSG?” I ask Tamara confused.

“It’s meant to be SSS but sometimes they call it SSG.” She explains warily.

“And that means….?” I trail off.

“And I thought you’re all meant to be geniuses, idiot. It’s the shortcut for ScholarShipGeek, duh.” Janice answers, disgusted.

Me? Scholarship? Seriously? Wow. If CeeCee was here, she’d die laughing.

Chapter 3

Shrinks and Ben and Jerry's ice cream

“What’s wrong with Scholarship Students?” I ask nobody specific. It's a strange concept for me, that is, actually. In Grayton, it was a universal rule that scholarship students were to be respected. I mean, in a school where everyone's average grade cannot be below a B, smarts are naturally admired. Getting a scholarship to those private schools isn't easy, you know. I mean, those are the people who've really earned the eduation, while the rest of us were buying it. Sure, there were people who took the mick out of them, but that's just their inferiority complex talking.

“Just ignore Janice’s spoilt brat prejudices. It’s fine to be a SSG—I mean SSS.” Tamara reassures me. This is interesting.

“So, if I'm understanding this right, SSS are... what, outcasts?” I ask, intrigued. When I see her hesitating look, I assure with a smile, “Don’t worry about hurting my feelings.”

“Kind of…well, you know how it is... because they look poo-- I mean, less wealthy, people kind of pick on them.. and well, you know... like... that situation where you have something someone else doesn't and you pick on them for it? Don't get me wrong, don't believe in that meaningless bullying to make you feel superior, but that's kind of how everyone is...” Tamara stutters.

Light bulb moment!

Perfect! This is it. A way for me to stay away from becoming popular and well-known. I'll just have to take advantage of their loser system. If pretending to be poor is all it takes for me to be tagged into the outcast group, then hell, this makes everything so much easier.

“But I don’t understand one thing….why does everyone think I’m an SSS, as you like to call it? What ... gave it away?” I question them with a crease between my eyebrow, trying to create a confused expression.

 “Hmm... to list it... well in Geography, Mr Henderson spoke about an offer you were granted and of course, you live in W26 and you are roommates with another SSG…when you arrived, yesterday, you only had like three luggages--come on, whose stuff can fit in three luggages?--you came in a really hideous not-in-a-good-way-antique car, which none of the paying students would be caught dead in, hell, their parents wouldn't allow such a disgrace…. things just added up... you can't really hide poverty, you know...” Kyu Hyun shrugs.

"Kyu Hyun, that's rude. Don't call her poor, she's my friend. Have some delicacy." Tamara hisses.

I stifle a laugh. My idiotic brother is really helping me out without even realizing it. It's a good thing Princeton is kind of close to this place; seeing as that made it possible for me to hitch a ride with him instead of having Leonard, Dad's secretary do it, as per usual. And they think the offer Mr.Henderson shouted about was about a scholarship! That’s too funny. I doubt he knows the actual nature of the offer I was granted. Because I doubt the Chairwoman would admit her own leniencies just like that. I mean admitting to taking bribes (in the guise of 'donations', of course) would create a blemish on the school's reputation.