Ch. 19: The Panty Thief

(Cas's POV)

I stayed behind again to watch over Amber as Sam and Dean work into the late hour working on the case. She was sleeping right now and as odd as it may sound, I enjoy watching her sleep. Her rhythmic breathing is hypnotic and she sometimes scrunches up her face while asleep.

Then, it happened again.

"No! ... S-stop!! S-stop it!!!I'M SORRY! I'M SO SORRY!!!" Amber screams as she kicks around, I stand up from my seat as she springs up panting for air in a thin blanket of sweat.

"Oh my god." She says as she looks around realizing where she is now.

"Amber." I say, not knowing what to do.

"Cas?" She says as I walk over to her and can hear her breathing really hard.

"You were having another night terror." I inform her as I stand by her bedside.

"Cas.. I'm scared." She says looking up at me, tears swelling up her eyes. I didn't know what to do, I didn't want her to feel like this. I sat next to her as I was about to open my mouth, when she suddenly hugs me and I can hear her softly cry into my arms. I remain still for a few moments and think it was appropriate to hug her back, I've seen people do this a couple of times on TV.

"I keep having.. I keep having the same nightmare, over and over again. Cas.. I just want it to stop." She says as she quietly sobs. I hated seeing her cry, it brought this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach, I wished for her to not feel this pain.

"Amber.. It's alright now." I find myself saying to her, patting her back. "There there." I say just like I saw on TV. She still hugged me and I hugged back.

"I don't want to fall asleep. I'm scared I'm going to see him again." She tells me as she breaks apart from the hug and wipes her eyes.

"Who?" I ask.

"My father."

~

(Dean's POV)

"She woke up screaming again?" I ask while Amber takes a shower and Cas, Sam and I talk.

"Yes. It occurred again while you were both gone." He says to us.

"What did she say this time?" Sam asks him.

"Uh.. I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what? What did she say?" I question.

"I'm sorry." He repeats again.

"Cas, what are you sorry for? What did she say."

"Dean, you misunderstand, that is what she said. I'm sorry."

"Oh." I simply say.

Sam and I both look at each other wondering why she would say that.

"Sorry about what?" Sammy asks Cas but he informs us that he doesn't know.

"All she told me was that she did not want to fall asleep in fear of seeing her father." He finishes saying as Amber gets out the shower dressed and I get up to grab a beer and act like we weren't just talking about her.

"What are you guys talking about?" She asks as she towel dries her hair and I avoid eye contact. Sam has no choice but to answer her since she's looking right at him.

"Oh, uh nothing." He stutters.

"Really? So why do you have this guilty look on your face?" She says, interrogating Sam.

"Dean's been stealing your underwear!" Sam blurts out and Amber's jaw drops.

"WHAT?!"

"Dude." I say to Sam as Amber turns to me with hell fired eyes. Sam is behind her shrugging his shoulders and making gestures for me to play along. Great, just peachy.