"Can I confess something?" The heat slowly rises from my neck, Marcus nods, "I've been having a hard time sleeping lately." The words leaving my lips lifts a weight off my shoulders.

"I know what you mean," he pulls me closer to him tucking my head under his chin, "so have I. My wolf seems..." he pauses and I know exactly what he wants to say.

"Restless."

"Exactly," he nuzzles my hair, "like he is scared to wake up and all of this would be just a dream."

He understands.

"Then sleep in the pack house," I say as if it were that easy.

"I sleep close to the pack house," he ignores my request. "I actually sleep in the trees so that I can be as close to you as possible."

Melany! My father's voice booms through my mind.

I'm going home, is all I say. "My father is looking for me," Marcus' eyes soften, "I'll see you soon."

"Goodnight my beautiful mate," the hurt in his voice tears at my heart.

"Goodnight," I say pulling away from him.

There is a small pout on his lips. This pushes me closer to him as I plant a soft kiss on his lips. Before he can react I pull away and run into the pack house.

We have to do something about this.

"There you are," my father is at the foot of the stairs when I walk in.

"I'm safe," no matter how old and how strong I get the worry always seems to be in his eyes when I get home.

"I can see that. Where were you?" He is taking this mate thing more serious than I thought. He usually is happy to see me home and he doesn't ask any questions.

"Out! Can I talk to you not as a father to a daughter but as alpha to pack member," my father raises an eyebrow.

"As an alpha, you say?" I nod.

"In your office," my father leads the way as we take the stairs my heart hammers away at my chest.

He takes his seat behind his desk as I sit before him, "What's all this about? Should I be worried?"

"Alpha," I clear my throat hoping to dampen the dryness in my throat, "I want to talk about my mate."

"What about him?" The edge on his voice annoys me.

"Every member in the pack house is allowed to bring their mate into this house and I wanted..."

"You wanted to know if you could bring Marcus into this house," he is not yelling but his voice is getting louder.

Swallowing I find it hard to speak so I nod.

"He's not one of us," he states coldly.

"What is that suppose to mean?" I snap as my anger feels hot on my tongue.

"We don't know him well enough to have him join the pack house," my father sinks into his chair as if he is finally saying what he has been bottling in.

"He's my mate," I yell.

"I don't trust him. There, are you happy?" His eyes darken before me and my wolf growls. If I do not walk out now I am going to do something I will regret.

"He's my partner if you like it or not," I get to my feet, "all that matters is that I trust him."

My father opens his mouth but I do not let him speak, walking out of the office I rush to my room and slam the door.

Melany.

Go away!

Try to understand, sweetie. I'm never going to trust anyone that can hurt my baby.

With that, he vanishes out of my mind giving me some privacy.

My room is dark with the exception of the moonlight seeping in through my window. The light pulls me like a magnet and I oblige to its calling.

The window swings open with ease, the rustling of leaves pulls my attention to the trees before my window.

"Marcus," I whisper knowing that if it is him he will be able to hear me.

"Melany," he walks out of the trees and looks up at me.

"Can you stay the night?" The burning in my eyes makes the tears swell in my eyes. The moonlight blurs as the tears slowly cascade down my cheeks.

"Anything that makes you happy," he smiles at me, "move back." I do as he asks. He is in my room in a matter of seconds.

Without speaking we both climb into bed as Marcus wraps his arms around me, holding me protectively.

That night I slept like a child, as Marcus became my safety blanket.