Chapter 1: Empty Sky

Ichigo Kurosaki

Just as he uttered those words, he instantly regretted it as he saw the stranger wear the most terrified expression on her face: eyes widened, lip quivering, shaking limbs, everything. She looked like one of the patients he would treat in his father's clinic-oh. She must be one of them then. A mental patient.

"Here miss. Why don't you-"

"My name is Rukia."

She whispered to him, looking down at her dull, black shoes.

"Rukia Kuchiki."

At least she knew her own name. That was a start.

"Hello Kuchiki-san. I'm Ichigo Kurosaki."

"I know."

Again. She said this with such confidence as if she did know him. As if he was the crazy one who had just kicked a complete stranger in the face with her goddamn foot. Ichigo rubbed the back of his neck and sighed.

"Sorry, Kuchiki-san. I really don't know who you are."

His voice was calm and collective, not wanting to get another beating from this tiny girl. His hazel eyes softened and held out his hand.

"How about you stay here in the clinic tonight and...explain to me how you know me."

If she was a mental patient, he might as well be kind to her. She must've gone through a lot. Kuchiki nodded slowly and looked at him, her face suddenly now just as calm as his with a smile on her face.

"Yes. That'd be...wonderful."

Her voice was quiet and mellow, no quiver or crack of a tone in it to be found. She finally calmed down. Ichigo returned the smile, still holding out his hand, but she denied his gesture and walked by him and to the front door. He shrugged and followed her to his home, taking off his work shoes and loosening his tie.

"Kurosaki-kun!"

The familiar cheerful voice rang in his ears. He glanced up and smiled slightly, waving at her. She was in an apron, blotches of sauce on her face and hands as she scrambled over. Her auburn hair was tied up in a loose bun, her gray eyes falling upon Kuchiki.

"Oh! We have a guest! Hello~ My name is Orihime Kurosaki! And you've met my husband I see!"

She smiled happily, embracing the smaller girl in her warm arms. Ichigo hung his coat on the coat rack and sighed.

"Inoue please. She's a little shaken up."

And by the looks of it, as Kuchiki saw his wife her face turned five shades paler than it already was. A whimper escaped her lips as if something were caught in her throat, or as if she was having trouble breathing. It must've been Inoue's strong hug.

"Oh my! I'm sorry!"

She patted Kuchiki's black hair and smiled.

"You're very beautiful-ah my bad! I didn't even ask your name, darling!"

Ichigo turned to Kuchiki, her knees slightly bent and her arms hung lifelessly beside her. Her purple eyes grew larger and her lips pursed in, not uttering a single word. He noticed her fingers twitching slightly, sweat dripping down her thin neck and her heart was beating so rapidly that he and Inoue could hear it. Seeing her get this scared mad Ichigo's hairs stand up and made him sweat too. Why was she acting this way? Why did seeing her like this make Ichigo want to throw his arms around her and comfort a stranger like her? Why did she have to come here and make him feel a flood of negative emotions and terrible sensations. His stomach churned as the silence began to break his ears.

"Kuchiki Rukia!"

Inoue and Kuchiki turned to him, both jumping at his slight yell. His palms were moist and warm from his nervous precipitation.

"T-That's...her name, Inoue."

The red head smiled in relief and forced an awkward laugh.

"Oh! A beautiful name to match a beautiful girl!"

Kuchiki seemed to have relaxed just in the slightest as her shoulders slumped down.

"Thank you..."

"You must be exhausted! Come inside! I've made miso soup with broccoli and turkey!"

Ichigo's stomach churned more. His wife's cooking wasn't the greatest, and he knew Kuchiki would vomit in her state.

"U-Uh Inoue. Why don't you go get Kotori? I'll fix something up for Kuchiki-san."

Inoue stared blankly at him then understood what he meant.

"Ohhh-eheheh of course, Kurosaki-kun."

She waved to the guest and walked up the stairs, calling their son's name. Ichigo turned to Kuchiki and asked for her to enter. She nimbly walked in, placing her shoes outside with her head low. Ichigo was about to explain each room, but before he could even start she weaved her way through toys and furniture and into the kitchen. She sat herself down in the fifth open seat where only guests would sit. Kuchiki's eyes made her way up to his, the irises glistening like stars. And for the first time he began to really notice her features. Her short, ebony hair that curled under her chin. Her white skin that resembled freshly fallen snow. Her thin physique that made her both elegant and fragile. The way her eyebrows furrowed together in thought or softened in tranquillity. Her pale, rose lips moved slightly.

"Thank you. For letting me stay here I mean."

"Nah don't mention."

He rubbed his neck and looked away sheepishly. Ichigo had to admit, no matter how crazy Kuchiki seemed, Inoue was right...

She was beautiful.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Author's Note: ...yeah things aren't going well for this OTP. I'm sorry if this fanfiction is not to your liking because it took a turn down a more depressed route. There will be still Ichiruki moments (obviously ) but more conflict to come. IF THIS DOES NOT MAKE YOU HAPPY PLEASEEEE don't read anymore. But for those of you who do, thanks for reading and enjoying the first chapter of Book 2