Chapter 2: Caught

You opened the door to your backyard so your cat, Minki, could go outside if he wanted, just as you would do any other morning. He would never leave the yard without you, even though he could easily jump over the fence. He would usually just nap on the sunbeds. It was still just warm enough, but winter was approaching. You walked back upstairs to get ready for work while Minki jumped outside.

1 month later

Taehyung was sitting on one of your sunbeds, installing the clock he had bought the day after he first came here. Having done this for a month and having almost got caught multiple times, he learned that you get up at 7 am at earliest. He sat the alarm to 5 minutes before, placed the clock on the floor beside the sunbed and laid down. Only a few seconds later he heard the door squeak open. He flew up, freezing halfways. Your cat came walking outside, not really noticing Taehyung yet. You were no where to be seen. Did she not lock the door? Your cat who he didn't know the name of saw him and froze, but relaxed and walked towards him when he extended his hand lovingly.

"Hi there~ what's your name?" He said and petted the cat. The cat made a meowing sound, and Taehyung copied it to perfection.

Taehyung laid for a while, dead tired but wide awake. Maybe because of the cold, or maybe because of his endless thoughts that was haunting him at the moment. He had been trying really hard the past month to find a place who would allow him to work there, despite being a vampire. Before, he would work for other vampires who had a lot of money, since they had been lucky enough to find a company who were willing to hire them illegally. They would never tell who exactly they worked for though. How did they do it? How did they manage to find a job... Taehyung had been chased out of buildings and even yelled at once during the interviews he had gotten himself, as soon as he told them what he was. He had spent the rest bit of his money on the clock, rice, a tiny pot and a few lighters. He would make a fire using the lighters, and boil the rice in semi-dirty water from a lake nearby. He missed taste, but he had decided to spend all the money on rice, so he could buy more food since it was cheap. But he only had enough left for about 2 portions, and he was starting to wonder if the hunger or the cold would kill him first. He felt like crying, but his eyes remained dry as he stared at your cat, his only friend, sleeping on another sunbed.

He woke up with a start from hearing your voice yell. You were shocked and scared and without thinking, you started yelling for the stranger to leave. You ran to Minki and brought him back to the door, holding your phone and threatening to call the police. Taehyung flew up from the sunbed, tripping over the clock and fell into the pool. His head emerged from the water, and you both locked eyes for the first time. "What are you doing!? Get out!" You hissed.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry I just- I was just-" he cut himself off, already feeling tears forming, from suddenly being too overwhelmed with feelings. What would he do now? You would surely warn your neighbors, he had no chance of escaping sleeping on the even colder and dirty ground somewhere. His eyes left yours and he struggled to get out of the pool, feeling numb from the cold water. You softened up a little, seeing he didn't seem like he had any bad intentions, and only wanted to sleep in your yard. But he looks around my age.. He couldn't possibly be homeless..

"Why were you sleeping in my yard?" You asked, though keeping a stern voice.

"Your sunbeds.. They just looked better than t-the ground.. But it doesn't matter I'm going to go n-now don't worry." He stuttered out, finally getting out of the pool and went to grab his bag.

"Why would you sleep on the ground..." you decided to ask, weirded out by how such a young guy could be homeless, thinking that there must be another explanation. You didn't know why you even bothered, but you were suddenly certain that he would at least not harm you, and you were a bit curious. He looked at you for a second, shocked that you were still talking to him.

"I don't have anywhere else to go..." he hesitantly replied, halting his movements.

"Then where are you gonna go now?"

"The forest.." I can't just let him go sleep in the forest! It's even full of vampires...

"Are you homeless or something?"

"Obviously. But it"s okay, I'll be go-"

"You don't have any family or friends who will let you stay with them? How did this happen!? You're so young!"

".. I have no one.. I- um it's a long story and I don't wanna bore you with it. But it's okay really." He lied and faked a smile. You frowned at him in disbelief. Can i really trust this guy? You looked at his drenched, shivering figure, and noticed how skinny he looked, even wearing an oversized hoodie. He's not eating well either... He was about to go when you stopped him. "Wait- uh," What am i doing? "It's my fault you got wet.. Would you like to come in for a while and have a shower? You can borrow my clothes while your own dries.. It's the least I should do."