Somebody That I Used To Know

Sitting on one side of a booth with my boyfriend, across from his ex-boyfriend, was not the ideal situation for me. The posh restaurant, however, made it quite a bit better.
"So... it's been a while," Brendon broke the delicate silence.
"Yes, it has."
"What've you been up to? I mean, I've seen you on tabloids so I know what you've been up to, but uh, I-"
Ryan cut him off with that hearty chuckle of his. "You're doing that cute-" He shot a nervous glance at me and cleared his throat. "That nervous rambling thing."
Brendon's cheeks stained red, and I made an effort to not stab my hand with a fork. Ryan seemed to notice, and he quickly changed the subject.
"Uh, congratulations on the new album! I've heard most of it and it sounds great so far. I didn't know you were going solo?"
[Ahahah ignore the last sentence he didn't actually say it don't worry]
"Thank you! Panic definitely is never going to be the same after... uh, you and Jon and Spencer all being gone, but..." He cast his eyes downward. "Yeah."
I comfortingly put my hand on Brendon's shoulder, and Ryan looked at him sympathetically.
Ryan's phone started ringing next to his empty plate, and he held up a single finger to say 'one minute.'
"Hello?" he whispered into the receiver. "Oh, hey babe." A grin tugged at the corner of Ryan's mouth, and I tried to not notice Brendon grimacing next to me. "Yeah, I just went to get some food- I'll be back as soon as I can. I love you too."
Brendon seemed uncomfortable, and I could tell that Ryan knew. "Well, that's my queue. It was honestly really nice to run into the both of you again."
We all stood up rigidly and exchanged hugs, and I tried not to notice the way that Brendon lingered a bit longer in Ryan's arms.
"Bye," he whispered horsely after finally pulling away. Ryan smiled sympathetically once again. "Bye."
"Thank you again, Ryan." I hugged him tightly and then released him. "I owe you."
"You don't owe me anything, it was the right thing to do."
A shy smile pulled at my mouth, and Ryan turned on his heel and walked out. Brendon sighed next to me, and I turned to hug him. I didn't notice the way he turned his face towards my neck, I didn't notice the way he held on to me like his life depended on it, and I definitely didn't notice his tears wetting my shirt.
(Yeah, I couldn't wait. -Baylee)