« fourteen »

[Dedicated to @Atidevil for her entertaining comments on the previous, previous chapter]

A/N:

I'm so, terribly sorry for the late update. Word decided to delete the remaining chapters and epilogue of this story. So I had to re-write EVERYTHING.

AND READ THE IMPORTANT AUTHOR'S NOTE AT THE END. THANK YOU.

I hope you enjoy this chapter!

x

_____________________________

We made it back to my house half an hour before the dinner. My eyes were open the entire ride home and my body were restless. The second Luke parked the car in front of my house, my fingers immediately unlatched the seatbelt from my body. I scrambled out of the car like I was on fire and ran to my doorstep.

The inside of my bag resembled a shipwreck. Everything was everywhere and yet, nothing was anywhere. I shook my bag and heard the clinking of keys together. I pulled my bag closer towards me and reached inside. My fingers felt blindly around its contents: charger, headphones, a small journal, three pens, a dozen hair ties, wallet and then I felt the cold metal against my skin—the house keys.

Fingers wrapped themselves around my arm and carefully tugged my hand out of my bag, the keys still dangling on my fingers mid-air.

"Norah, calm down." came Luke's voice from right behind me.

"Lily's waiting for me — I'm going to be late. You don't have to come, I'm fine. I'm–"

"Not fine. Take deep breaths, Nor." He circled his arms around me and spun me so that I was facing him. 

We stood there, encircled in each other's arms for a few minutes. Not saying anything because there was nothing left to say. Everything felt the way it is and I was peaceful in his arms—more than I was my entire life.

But we don't have all the time in the world. And even if time seemed to stood still when we were in each other's embrace, it never stops ticking.

I stood on my tiptoes and kissed him softly on the lips. As much as I wanted to kiss the living daylight out of him, there was much more important things I need to attend to.

"It's getting late," I stepped away from him, "you should get some rest. And I'm sure your sister's waiting for her book."

He kissed me one last time and flashed that goofy grin of his.

"Take care, sweetheart."

I fiddled with my keys, stepped inside and smiled at Luke before ultimately closing the door.

____________

I chose to wear a simple black dress with matching black pumps and a small black pouch. Lily would undoubtedly mutter a comment about how I looked like I'm going to a funeral instead of a dinner.

You can do this. Lily needs you. That has become a mantra I kept repeating on my way to her house in my mom's car. I had to kept my discomfort on her parents aside and focus on keeping Lily alive through the night.