« two »

[Dedicated to EmSlough because her books are amazing and Paper Sails' last update was beautiful and heartbreaking]

_____________________________

The walk to my house was uneventful and chilly. I knew I should've accepted Luke's offer of a ride home but that would just result in an hour interrogation in the living room with my mom and sister.

The sky was a mixture of dark blue and purple creating the perfect illusion of a floating ocean above us.

I reached for my pocket watch in my back pocket. The only thing that my grandfather left me. "Time is limited", he said. "Use it well," he put the watch in my hands and pat my back.

The pocket watch was light on my palm and as I looked at it one more time, I began to understand what grandfather was trying to say - even though it was still blurry.

5:15 it shows. 45 minutes before dinner.

I quickened my pace to reach home faster. The wind blowing against my face and I was fairly sure I resembled a homeless person speed walking like a duck.

I stood outside - exposed to the cold, windy air and dialed my house. No answer. I walked to the door and knocked continuously while also ringing the bell every four knocks.

The car was in the driveway, the lights were on and the sound of the television could be softly heard from outside. I hugged my jacket closer and pressed the bell one more time.

The familiar clicking of numerous locks were heard and the door was yanked open. "Sorry! I didn't hear you!" my sister appeared by the doorway breathless and with stains of flour on her face.

"You've got something on your face" I told her, the corners of my lips twitching. She rolled her eyes and ran back inside.

I stepped in and locked the door before running up the stairs to my room for a quick shower. And even under the running water,  my mind kept drifting back to the brown-haired boy named Lucas.

"So do you come here a lot?" He asked and casually sips his coffee. I was mid-chewing and he stared at me - waiting for my answer.

"Yeah" I answered but it came out as a strangled noise as the cheesecake wasn't even halfway down my throat. I blushed in embarrassment and quickly gulped down my tea.

He smirked at me which made me blush even more, if that's even possible. "Yep" I answered again, "Same time, same spot - but if someone's here already, well there are lots of other spots.." I squirmed under his gaze. "Stop staring! You're making me more embarrassed than I already am!"

He leaned forward and shakes his head. "Seeing you in discomfort is really amusing" he chuckled.

I smiled at the recent memory. And quickly dried myself. "Dinner's ready!" Naya barged into my room. She crossed her arms and closed the door with her back. "You're smiling. Did something happen? Did you meet a boy? Spill!" She attacked me to the ground.

"Whoa! Calm down little ninja and get off me" I laughed, "And how did you even know something happened?" I shoved her aside.

"Your expression was a dead giveaway," She rubbed her arm and stared at me with a wicked smile on her face.

"Well come on! Your little sister wants to know every single detail - from the colour of his hair to the size of his shoes" she got up and dragged me to my bed.

We were so lost in our conversation that we didn't noticed it was past dinner time until our mother yelled our names from below. "Coming mom!" I shouted back and shooed my sister away.

Dinner was the only time we could talk and actually be in the same room - at the same time. Everyone was always minding their own business and had somewhere to be, resulting in the lack of communication and affection in the family.

The rumbling noise of my father's car disrupted our conversation and soon he was walking inside to join us.

_____________________________

Author's Note:
Don't forget to vote and comment what you think about this book so far. Also, thank you for 1K reads in Intervals!