Chapter 7

Later that night, Lovino was laying in bed, working on some assignments. He sighed, looking at the small stack of books next to the bed, where a glass of water with a few pills were placed.

After the pair had eaten lunch, Lovino had gotten sick to his stomach, due to the severe lack of proper eating habits. Antonio, of course, freaked out and made him go lie down and he hasn't been allowed to leave his room yet. Of course, now Antonio was asleep, but Lovino no longer had any reason to go outside the room.

Now, Lovino was finishing up the small Art History assignment and moving onto the stack of excessive papers that Mrs. Averell, his Design professor, had given Antonio for him. He really didn't mind all the work from Design. In fact, it was his favorite class. He really would have loved to major in it but...

"Buon Dio, what does Professore Averell have in mind now?" he muttered to himself, spreading the papers on the desk. A little envelope fell out, his name written on it along with "PLEASE READ" scrawled on the top.

"Let's see..." he muttered, and picked up the little envelope, ripping open the top, pulling out a small composition of about three to four back and front pages of writing.

Dear Lovino Vargas,

First off, how DARE you overwork yourself to the point of sickness! Even if....

This rant went of for the first two pages. Lovino knew the moment he stepped into that class, there was going to be a shitstorm coming right at him. Finally he got to the part of the letter that wasn't yelling obscenities at him.

...Anyways, if you look through the papers in the folder I'm giving you, you'll find all the things you'll need for the May show. 'What show in May?' you may ask and 'Why are you telling me I'm only in the minor course?' you may ask. I've seen your work Lovino. You're better than most of the actual Design majors. I want you to participate and submit designs for this show. I know the chancellor is tough, but if he sees what you can do with design, I'm sure the threat from the beginning of the year will become void. Your brother has been doing just as well.

The reason I'm telling you so early is so you don't overwork yourself again. Not even the ones going for a major know yet. I want you to be happy Lovino, and you are obviously not happy at the point you're at right now. Anyways, the next page contains...

Lovino smiled, a small smiled, but still a smile. The professor had always been looking out for him, from day one.

Flashback:

Lovino muttered profanities under his breath, utterly lost. It was his first time to the college, and he had class in ten minutes. What a wonderful way to start.

"Lovino Vargas?" He spun around at the calling of his name to be met with an unfamiliar face of a lady at least into her thirties with short curly brown hair and caramel colored skin. Her arms were crossed and an eyebrow raised, as if silently judging him.

"Do you want something signora?" he asked, tapping his foot impatiently. He really did not feel like being late.

"I thought it was you. I've wanted to meet you for a while now. You see, these," She held up a folder with some black letters scribbled on it, "piqued my interest."

Lovino's eyes widened slightly, his eyebrows raising. "Those-"

"Your designs, no? Quite fascinating really and quite well thought out." She tucked the folder under her arm and turned, gesturing for him to follow. Lovino did, curious of how she got a hold of his designs.

They walked down a few halls in silence, then entering what must've been one of the design classrooms. There was all kinds of fabric strewn all over the room. There was dupioni, batiste, olefin, madras and more. Mannequins lined one wall, some wearing what must have been designed clothes, some bare, and some with fabrics thrown over them like drapery. Sketch paper and pencils were everywhere. A line of sewing machines lined one wall, all spaced quite a distance from each other with names plastered to the sides. Most likely the student's names.