five

5 years of being in a coma - Rosie is now 13

I slowly make my way downstairs to the kitchen, where I go to make a bowl of cereal every morning. I'm always awake before Christian.

As I go down the steps, I see Caroline laying on the couch with a bottle of Vodka in one hand, and the tv remote in another. She's dressed up in a tight red dress and black hooker boots. I make my way over to her and take the bottle oh of her hand and lay the tv remote down on the coffee table. I put a blanket on top of her and turn the tv down low so it's harder to hear. She must have came home late again last night. Three years ago, she started becoming really depressed for some reason, and ever since then she started to go out very late, not coming home till five of six in the morning. Always with the smell of liquor on her breath. She would constantly leave Christian and I home alone. Sad to say that it happened when we were only ten. When Caroline is sober, which is probably once or twice a month, she's her playful fun self. She's still loving now but she's constantly locked in the bathroom or her bedroom. Christian tells me that she has a anxiety problem and that he can hear her at night making her self throw up, which is why she's skinny to the bones now.

I walk back into the kitchen with the Vodka bottle, I open up the trash can and throw it away. I turn around, and Christian startled me.

"Morning Christian." I say softly.

"Good morning. How's mom?" He asks, taking a bite of his cereal.

I shake my head in despite, "Not good, but that's normal. I heard her come in last night."

"Yeah, what time?"

I pour some fruity pebbles into a white glass bowl. "Around two. Better than five at least."

He drops his spoon into his bowl. "Rose it's not better!" He calms himself down. "My mom has a problem."

I don't get mad at him when he gets upset about his mom. I mean, I get emotional about it too, but this is his own mother. I couldn't imagine his pain of him seeing his mom like this everyday.

"I know she does." I take a small bite of my cereal. "But I know she still loves you."

"That's not the point Rose! She may love me but she doesn't show it how she used to. I don't wanna loose my mom."

My eyes tear up.

"Ugh!" He gets up and gives me a kiss on the cheek, and wraps his arms around me. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't of said that."

I put my face into his shoulder and let out a whimper. I really loved Christian. He was going through such a hard time, he has seen so much in the past three years, though he still makes an effort to show me how much he loves and cares for me. People at school don't know I live with him, and they think we're dating. I mean I've never had a boyfriend, and if I ever wanted one it would be him, but he likes this girl name Hannah.

I wipe off my tears and grab his hand. "Thank you."

"You know what." He begins to say, as he makes his way back to his chair. "You have always said thank you."

"Hm?"

"Ever since you were little, you always said thank you, for the smallest things."

I grin, "I'm thankful for a lot, that's all."

He dumps his milk in the sink and turns back to look at me. "Like what?"

"A lot?" I chuckle. "Is that a problem sir?" I say like I was talking to a police officer.

He pretends to shine a flash light at me. "Yes ma'am. License and registration please."

I laugh.

"No, but really tell me."

I twirl my blonde, thin hair among my fingers. "I'm thankful I have education. Thankful I have a bed to sleep in every night. I'm thankful for always having food on a plate. A roof over my head. Having clean water to bathe in. I'm thankful that I have jackets to keep me warm and tank tops to keep me cool. Thankful for the money that has been spent on me, for my needs and wants." I pause catching my breath. "I'm thankful for you." I blush.

"Aw you don't mean that. I'm nothing but shi.t"

I giggle, trying to hide my rosy cheeks. "But I'm thankful for you. No matter if you can be a a.sshole sometimes."

He grabs my hands, like his fit in mine perfectly. Like we were made for eachother. I felt butterfly's in my stomach and I was sweating but I had goosebumps along my legs and arms.

"I love you." He says.

"I love you." And before I could say another word he kisses me. "So much."

Rosie's mom's POV - hospital room.

"My beautiful Rosie." I rub the forehead of my thirteen year old daughter, that has grown into such a beautiful young lady, even without her being up to see it. "I'm very excited for you to meet your new baby brother. Mama had him yesterday, and dad is on his way with him. We named him Mark Jr, after your father."

A tear streams down my face. "You will love him, when you wake up, I know it."

My husband walks in with a blue blanket wrapped in his arms, he hands me Mark Jr and gives me a small kiss on the lips. "He slept the whole way here."

I smile at my newborn baby boy.

"Hun, may I have a minute with Rosie." Mark says to me, waving me to get up from the chair beside the bed.

I grin, "Of course, I'll be in the hall."

Rosie's dad's POV

"When you wake up. I'll be waiting for you. Your mother and I love you too pieces and pieces. No matter how long you stay in this bed, no matter what goes through your mind during the fucked up coma, that is making me miss out on some of the most important times of my little girl's life. I'm so sorry for missing out on those visits that I skipped. Forgive me." I feel a tear leave my eye. "I love you baby. Sleep well."